• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Your disk copy of image was changed since last opened or saved (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am  occasionally getting a message that "the disk copy of image  was changed since the file was last opened or saved". The OS is 10.6.6 and I am using CS5. It happens on no specific file. All of my files are pretty big. The current one that this is happening on is a psb that is 3.26 G unflattened. I have from  ignorance always ignored the message and saved anyway. I have never detected any damage or discernible changes to the files after ignoring the warning, but after searching Adobe forum and reading a thread about this happening in CS4, I guess I should be more cautious and do a save as and change the file name. I started this thread because no one has reported the issue happening in CS5.

The files were all given to me by ftp as either psd, tiff or camera raw files.  I work on duplicates of the originals in no other program but photoshop and opened and closed the files a few times before getting the message about the disk copy being changed. All of my files are saved to an internal harddrive and  backed up on a time capsule device. I am on a network, but am the sole user of the network. The files are  worked on and saved to an internal hard drive on the same computer. They are never opened on another computer which is usually turned off. I am running no virus protection software except what ever is native to the OS. The only other applications I am running when getting this message are safari, mail and sometimes bridge.

Why am I getting this message and what is causing changes (that I can't detect) to the disk copy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

The mesage means what it says:  something outside of Photoshop has modified your file on disk since the time that Photoshop saved the file.

We don't know what might be changing them -- just that the OS returns a different modification time for the file than what it was when Photoshop saved the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 225 Replies 225
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font management is a necessary evil. Disabling is not an option to fix this problem. What do you recommend as an alternative to Suitcase? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Suitcase and it was still happened here. Not convinced that's

the bug. Also working all locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joseph - yes, there could be other causes, but we need your help to figure out what is causing it on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris - A few things that might help: 1) I'm using dropbox, but do not have

any Ps files running off it. 2) I've been running Spotify. I quit the

program and haven't noticed the disk copy warning since. 3) I've been

heavily using and updating smart objects between Ai and Ps. I noticed most

occurrences if the disk copy warning on those days of back and forth between

programs.

Should I run some tests using Spotify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you need to try disabling suitcase to see if it is the cause.  Then we can talk to the makers of suitcase to get their bug fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I posted earlier I have the exact same issue in Photoshop, I've never used Suitecase though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And i don't use Spotify either. Never did used it or installed it.

Next, i don't use ps files betweine Adobe programs. Just in bridge/photoshop and i still have the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's odd, because the Suitcase update Steve recommended appeared to have fixed the problem until several days later when working on Photoshop files from another source, problem recurred. However, only got prompt once on each Ps file and InDesign was not affected, as it had been earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2011 Oct 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought that I would chime in here as I only just started having this problem myself. I get the error message when working in Photoshop with no other programs running on my machine. Also, if I save a file and leave it open in Photoshop overnight and then come back to it and hit the hot keys to save, I do not get this message. It only happens if I am actively editing the file in question. In my mind, this means that it has nothing to do with the system because why would the system behave differently depending on whether or not I am actively editing a file?

Oh and I should add that I do not use Time Machine. I have never used it on this machine and it is "Off" in my System Preferences with no destination drive selected for it. It simply doesn't run on the machine that I am using and never has. I backup directly to a rugged LaCie drive using SuperDuper!.

I am using a 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro with Lion and Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended v 12.0 x 64. This started happening within the last week and I'm wondering if it has something to do with upgrading to Lion as this is the first I've used Photoshop since upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to note that Suitcase Fusion 14.1.1 appears to have all kinds of problems with CS5 and 5.5. There are some long discussions about this on the Extensis user forums. I've been having a lot of problems with Illustrator and InDesign slowing down and then freezing after some period of inactivity or system sleep, that appear to be related to the last few versions of Suitcase Fusion 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting this dialogue literally every time I saved a document, it was maddening. I began shutting down all external resources and programs one at a time and I did, indeed, narrow it down to Suitcase Fusion 3 (14.1.1).

Detailed fix:

1. Open Suitcase, go to the "Suitcase Fusion 3" menu item and select "Manage Plug-ins..."  Uncheck all plugins for Photoshop.
  2. Suitcase should remove the plugin, but, just to be sure, go into the Photoshop application folder and into Plug-ins/Automate and make sure Suitcase's font management plugin is not in there. If it is, delete it.
  3. Restart Photoshop (important! you won't see the change unless you do this).

If you need fonts activated in Photoshop, after deleting the plugin you can go into "Suitcase Fusion 3" > "Preferences..." and add Photoshop to the "Auto-activate fonts for the following applications:" list. This seems to auto-activate fonts succesfully without the plugin. In fact, I have absolutely no idea why you need the plug-ins, I've removed them from all Adobe apps and added the apps to the auto-activate list instead and it seems to be working famously.

Hope this helps some of you. And thanks to everyone who came before me in this thread for helping me solve the problem!

FOLLOW UP

It seems that if you don't have the plugins installed and you restart your computer, you'll need to open Suitcase once before programs will activate fonts. Minor inconvenience compared to those caused by the plugins, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2011 Nov 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the original post I get the same message sometimes when saving .psb files, nothing else, and my usual response is to do a save as and not worry about it.  I just googled this condition and came upon this thread to see if there's any reason to be concerned about it and I think I'll just leave well enough alone.  I use CS4 and don't have Suitcase.  Best, Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just now decided to see what might be causing this warning (after recently upgrading to Lion). The solution posted on Aug 30 by lem0nayde nailed it for me. I did not thoroughly read all the posts, but many thanks to "lem" and to all who contributed, especially Chris, who took a lot of heat, mostly unwarranted. Adobe cannot check for everything, especially 3rd party software, though you would expect that they would be using Suitcase themselves or at least make it part of their testing because so many of their customers use it. Also, I am a single user on a single system, and there are probably a fair number of us, so if this "feature" is to warn that changes have been made to a file by a different user on the same network, I would hope that Adobe would either be able to detect when the warning is not relevant or allow a single user to opt out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add that I have this problem too.

I do not have Suitcase installed.

I suspect this has something to do with Time Machine.

Often, when I try to eject my Time Machine disk, it tells me the disk could not be ejected because Photoshop is using it—which it shouldn't be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2012 Feb 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to have been experiencing this problem for the last few months and can appreciate the frustration of those who have yet to resolve it.

After reading the entire thread, I took the advice of lem0nayde (post 160) of removing the Extensis Photoshop plugin and magically the problem has gone!

I currently have installed the most recent Suitcase Fusion 3 Version 14.2.0 (319) on OS 10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro that's independent from a network, so clearly there are still problems with even the most recent versions of Suitcase plugins - although based on the other contributors to the thread there are other circumstances that contribute to the error message occurring as well.

For what it's worth, I have been using the Adobe suite of software since Photoshop 3, Illustrator 5 and then Pagemaker along side Quark before moving to InDesign (so about 16 years) and during that time I have always used Suitcase as my font management tool, and while it has been reasonably stable on the whole, it has probably been the most common third part plugin that has given me problems with other applications over that period of time - all be it infrequently - so for those trouble shooting in future, it's perhaps a good first place to start by disabling it first to see what happens.

Best of luck to those who still haven't managed to nail it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having this problem several months ago - after an OS update on snow leopard.  I've since uprgaded to Lion and re-installed my CS5.5 --- and the problem is still there.  I've given up troubleshooting at this point, and just click to save the file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous replies.  Photoshop is just informing you of changes made to the file outside of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too, I am on Lion OS X, I do not have time machine active or suitcase installed. I do use Dropbox, but it is not part of my PS workflow. Images are usually from lightroom being "editing in PS". Just posting for others in case this helps troubleshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to chime in that I too have been having this problem. I am using CS5.5 on OS X Lion 10.7.3. I started noticing the problem since installing Lion, so it's been about a year, and I finally looked it up and found this thread.

Sometimes, I open a file, make one small change, save it, and get the error. Other times, it happens to files I have been working on for a longer time. Sometimes, when I am working, it happens every time I save as I work.

Until reading this thread, I thought the issue was purely Lion-related. (Time Machine local backups also seem to be chewing up disk space, and I suspect there is a connection.) However, I see here that many people are having the problem on earlier versions of CS as well as OS X.

I do not use Suitcase or Fusion. I do use Topaz plug-ins. I did change my scratch disk preferences a while back, and also suspect it could be something to do with that. The problem occurs when Bridge is open, and also when it isn't.

My system is old and full of crud. I haven't done a clean install for years, thought I do try and clean it up from time to time.

So... not very helpful, I know, but another voice saying, "Hey, there may be more of us than you think!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's any help, I'm still on OS 10.6.8, CS4 and I don't run Time Machine, Suitcase or Extensis and I get the message occasionally, but only on the rare occasion when I'm saving large document files.  I don't know why some third party thing would only target those files so I'm not buying adobe's claim that it's not responsible.  But there isn't any real world problem, save as works, the files aren't broken or anything, it's just a minor nuisance.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's maddeninly unhelpful, but I have this problem as well. It happens most often when I'm working on a file that's 50MB or more, and most of the work I do in Photoshop CS5 easily swells past 100MB (large illustrations will do that to ya before you flatten them). I started noticing it after reformatting my hard drive this December, which had originally been partitioned into a Boot section and a User Data section. My scratch disk settings use my external hard drive as the primary and my internal hard drive as the secondary. I am running 10.6.8, Snow Leopard, no Suitcase or Fusion or anything. Time Machine is inactive. I have 4GB of ram. Whenever the message pops up, my computer begins to run slower as well, and for the past few weeks Photoshop has needed to be force quit because it freezes when I quit out of the application. Does anyone think reinstalling the program would help? This is my second install of this disc onto this machine, but when I got it reformatted, I missed a few programs during the uninstall. Will that impact my ability to reinstall?

To everyone in this thread, it's little comfort, but you aren't alone. Maybe Adobe will figure this out soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(A side comment first that these forums would benefit from being able to make a general reply, rather than to a specific post...unless I'm missing it somewhere.)

Since my earlier post confirming that the "Suitcase fix" resolved the problem, it has cropped up again, but only rarely. Given the widespread nature of the problem affecting different users with different configurations, it appears that the Photoshop behavior described by Chris can be triggered by any number of scenarios. Adobe may not consider it to be a problem, and in fact may view it as a feature, even though for many users it is nothing but a nuisance. It appears to be something we have to live with until such time that Adobe either improves or fixes the "feature" and/or makes it something you can turn off.

That's my pragmatic take on it at this point, with the real purpose of this post being to confirm that the Suitcase fix is not a complete fix, nor apparently even close to being one. It just removes one of the more common triggers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also want to confirm that the issue has never completely gone away for me.  I am the original poster. The issue has occured on both Lion and Snow Leopard.  A clean install of the OS, reinstall of PS and replacing bad memory and risers all  helped, but occasionally, although much less frequently, I will get a disc copy error message. It doesn't matter what size the file is or how long the file has been open for me. I don't have Suitcase or fusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marian Driscoll & Chris Cox should take the same amount of time they have spent replying to all these posts and DO SOMETHING about this problem. Instead Ms. Driscoll likes to quote people's posts and make fun of them. I have been having this same problem since I upgraded my OS to 10.7 I hate this error! I run into it 10-20 times a day. It is up to Adobe to fix this problem! Do something please. I am not running a font suitcase or dropbox. FIX THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has done everything we can.  Every single time we've looking into this, we've found a cause outside of Photoshop.

Not once have we found that this was caused by Photoshop.

Unless you come up with a reproducable case that involves only Photoshop changing the files -- then there is nothing Adobe can do about this problem.

The files are being changed outside of Photoshop, and the user needs to know that when saving to avoid losing work.

Photoshop is doing the right thing here in telling you about an external change to your file.

Something else on your system is doing something wrong by changing the file when you do not expect it to be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines