• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zooming in Photoshop with 360 panorama in 3D preview

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why PS does not zoom in in full quality and zooms only part of the screen? Thanks to this there is no chance to edit the pano in the spherical preview, bcos the magnified quality is very poor.

https://youtu.be/nnduG0eWvzw

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have notice a few thing with Photoshop 3D Spherical Panorama feature.  Menu 3D>Spherical panorama>  has three item. The first import want to import the panorama file and scale it down in size.  IMP you need to change the settings to match the panorama canvas size for it to work well. The second  item wold create the 3D Spherical Panorama the same size as the file would open in Photoshop and retains the document's name in the tab.  Where the Import Option would change the file extension from like .jpg to .dae in the Tab. Once the 3D spherical panorama is created the Image displayed is much softer than the jpeg. and seems to be  much larger for when I scale the 3d image to match the 2d Image zoomed to 100%  the soft 3D  image zoom scale states 38% the 3D Projection must be huge.  So the image is very soft but I can zoom way in if I need to.  What is displayed is very soft but what is displayed  is not the Programs actual pixels and perspective the actual pixels area in the 2d panorama projection in the area being displayed may be what has great distortion that the 3D viewer is correcting so you can edit the area.  I can not say  that I had a hard time cutting some floor tiles and patching out the tripod hole.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEW VERSION IS HERE AND OF COURSE WITH THE BUG 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same problem with 22.1.1

Impossible to use the clone stamp tool, becase the part which is copied is showing poor quality (less than original), il I am painting directly on the 3D layer or on an additional layer merged afterwards.

The only way to deal with  this problem is by using the clone stam tool in the 2D map but this is useless for the tripod removal which should be done in the spherical view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reported the issue two times in last year to Adobe and did a phone call, no change. Maybe more people need to report the issue I do not know. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks, I will also report to Adobe and check  after each update if there are any improvements.

Anyway after checking the historicals of messages through the web concerning this issue, it seems that the bug has been going on for a long time.
In order to be able to modify my panoramas, I will go through the cube faces conversion with Ptgui and edit the single cube faces in Photoshop, it should also do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Windows Photoshop 22.1.1 Content aware fill seen to do a good job. I will try the clone stamp tool to see how good of a job I cans do with it..  Here what I see with content aware fill.  I normally do not use the clone stamp tool to make patches like this. I'll' select section and do a copy paste to a new layer and them position the patch I selected which I may trim.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not patch the tripod as well with the clone stamp tool and found it a harder tool to use for you had to sample often to do a decent job patching the tripod. I feel I was able to do a decent Patch, If I were to do it again I could do a better job than I did this time.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roland,
what do mean by "cube faces"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spherical panorama is converted in to 6 images (2D) which can be edited in photoshop. Each cube face represents one direction: left, right, front, rear, top, bottom.

Each face is a projection of the corresponding area from spherical, so it is easy to edit the nadir without any perspective distorsion.

Once you have finalized modifications on one or several cube faces, Ptgui can converts back the 6 images into a 2D equirectangular panorama.

The limitation is if you need to edit an area common to 2 faces.

The possibility to edit in photoshop on the spherical panorama does not have this inconvenient.

So i am thinking about to edit the zenith or nadir on cube faces, merge back to a 2D equirectangular panorama and if required, edit the other areas directly on the 2d equirectangular panorama using photoshop.

The 2D equirectangular panorama is not as stretched in areas apart from zenith or nadir.

Photoshop offers the possibility to edit the whole spherical panorama, but the result is a poor quality (blur) on the edited areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand the cube faces is the name of software. Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No i use Ptgui which is my panorama stitching software which have the possibility to create cube maps. It generates 6 seperate 2d files which are easy to modify individually (no perspective distorsion ).

You can also try https://jaxry.github.io/panorama-to-cubemap/

I have not tried it, i do not know if it offers also the reverse conversion.

Ptgui has the possibility to convert back from the 6 files to a single equirectangular panorama which is the most convenient final file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sphercial panorama - Zooming Issue kopie.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is your point. The rendered 360 spherical projection 2D image is very distorted.  Some area look sharper than they are because  of the compressed perspective view where other area look softer then they are  because of the stretched perspective view. When viewed in a 3D spherical Panorama viewer the distortion is removed you can only view part of the Panorama scene at a time  with the amount of detail you have the area with the corrective perspective. Here both zoomed to 32%

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is the following. For example, I want to remove me from a place near to nadir or camera stand, not possible to do it in the rectangular image, must be done in  360 spherical projection. Or If I want to clone an object, like a window or any other with the clone stamp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should i use the clone stamp tool or the content aware, if I modify any area in the 3D spherical panorama, export panorama from photoshop, the exported file (2D) is blurred where I have applied the modifications.

The same for the spherical view in any viewer (FSPViewer, Ptgui viewer,...)  apart from photoshop.

In photodhop, all the 3D view is blurred as shown in jk video or above photos.

Here is a close-up view of a modified area (with clone stamp tool).

rolandm20406279_0-1610920264096.png

JJMack, it seems that you also own 22.1.1 version of Photoshop could you please check on your samples by zooming on the modified areas, is the quality same than adjacent unmodified areas ?

rolandm20406279_1-1610920691038.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is in an area where the Spherical Projection has the greatest distortion.

image.pngcopy.jpg

Abbey_Church_of_St._Ouen,_Rouen,_France_–_360°_panorama_2019.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your modification seems not blurred as mine.

Anyway if you modify on the 3D layer or on an empty layer merged with the 3D layer, the area does not matter.

It does matter only if you modify directly on the 2D equirectangular  panorama on zenith or nadir areas.

The close up above from myself is in a non distorted area and the modification was done on an empty layer merged with the 3D layer. The screen copy was taken from a 3D spherical viewer which shows that only the modified part is blurred after exporting the 3D panorama from photoshop.

It seems that Photoshop also displays a low quality 3D layer image as described by jk above , but if you export, the quality is ok, excepted on the modified areas, anywhere (nadir, horizon,...).

On your pictures it seems that you do not have this problem.

I updated my GPU drivers and trien GPU different settings and also Photoshop different performance settings with no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do not have a problem with quality. It is hard to make a quality patch with a tool like the clone stamp tool. Other tools are better suited for creating a good detailed Patch. I normally use copy paste to  create tiles I can position and edit. Here is a redo of the first one I posted done this time in 22.1..1

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I used the copy paste with tiles as yours.

The result is the same: blured, see below

The 3D layer before modification (imported panorama .dae with size = size of equirectangular jpg panorama)

rolandm20406279_4-1610992065065.png

The additional layer

rolandm20406279_5-1610992128498.png

The merged 3D layer:

rolandm20406279_6-1610992150576.png

The exported image opened in photoshop (as 2D image) 

rolandm20406279_7-1610992181486.png

It would be the same result by choosing the nadir area instead of the front horizon.

The copied area either by selection copy-paste, clone stamp tool, or content aware tool is blured compared to the unmodified areas...

Since you also use 22.1.1 version, there is a parameter somewhere which is wrong on my computer (windows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your stitch panorama unpatched the highest quality you have it. Upload it to Dropbox it you need to.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are here:

https://we.tl/t-5dSmUE9KkP

I uploaded 2 versions: unpatched and the modified version after modification in PS only.

By the way, there is no possibility to choose the export quality when you export the panorama from PS 3D menu ?

The unmodified file is 127 MB while the modified version is 72MB, I guess the dfference is mainly due to jpg compressed quality. In PS preferences, the quick export menu allows to define the quality but it has no effect on my exported 3D layer from 3D menu.  

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no Idea of what you are trying to do with your Cube thing. The PTGUI stitch  360 Spherical Panorama you posted  has a sky that could have been stitched better and the tripod is still in the image which is easy to remove with content aware fill. I have no Idea of how you are trying to make the distorted shed in the spherical projection into a cube.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no use of this image which is just a sample. The modifications applied on this image are just done to illustrate the problem, not for improvement of the image, so I duplicated the shelter just to show more easily what is happening.

Dont’t mind of the final result ! I think the problem is the same as explained by jk at the top of this post.

I also think the problem is less evident to show on the tripod area, because of the grass texture, this is the reason why I chose the shelter for correction. It could be a human to be removed or anything else in another 3D panorama.

Here is another link with the same image corrected by 2D cube face for the shelter.

https://we.tl/t-R2xzVfu8e9

The shelter copy looks better.

You can compare with the other image already sent yesterday which was modified on the PS 3D layer.

From 3 D layer in PS

04.jpg

Modified in 2D 

with_cube.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are comparing Apples to Oranges,  You start with Camera images taken withe some lens these images have the perspective of the Lens focal length., These images are corrected  for the lens perspective then they stitched into a single image and severely distorted into a 360 spherical panorama projection.The top and bottom areas 2d projection are severely distorted and have less image quality then the image side  areas but object like the shed their spherical panorama projection perspective.    You then use a 3D viewer move the focal point to the shed to  remove the side spherical distortion then clone the shed next to itself then export a 360 Spherical projection where the two sheds will have two different spherical distortions for their locations in the panorama.  The sheds will have different image quality and spherical perspectives distortions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines