• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zooming ,Scrolling and Hand Tool Sluggish Photoshop 20.0.6 Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing annoying lagging when using hand tool or zooming/scrolling. Specifically when I hit spacebar for example to move canvas around, it freezes for split second and only then moves. When I hold spacebar for 1 second and move, then it moves without any lag. I tried updating Nvidia drivers, tried all options in PS performace, nothing helps.

Win10 x64, geForce 1050 TI, 2 monitors, one 1440p at 60Hz, other 1080p at 60Hz.

Thank you

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Please update Photoshop to version 21.0.1 which is the most recent version and let us know if that helps with the performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ethan,

Sorry to hear about slow performance of Photoshop, could you please try enabling "Legacy compositing" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Also, what version of Photoshop you're working on? You can check the version by going to Help > System Info

You may also try optimizing the performance by following the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I'm on 20.0.6 Release.

Turning to Legacy compositing improved it slightly. There is still a lag, but less so than before.

Do you think that maybe GTX 1050Ti graphics card running 2 monitors, 1080p and 1440p at 60Hz might be just too weak to handle Photoshop at the same time and might cause this sluggish performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update Photoshop to version 21.0.1 which is the most recent version and let us know if that helps with the performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating fixed it, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating does not fix this problem.  An open Navigator Panel will cause considerable lag when attempting to drage / scroll using the Hand tool in the main Canvas area.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how the universal answer is to "upgrade to the latest version" as if that really fixes things. Sure, some times it does. 90% of the time it does not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super annoyed that PS is getting buggy and many tools are laggy.  The hand tool has a slight initial freeze everytime I use it.  For those of us who have been using PS for 20+ years we shouldn't see tools getting worse in terms of performance.

Threadripper 3790x workstation running the latest version of Windows 10.  GTX 1080 gpu (x3). 128GB memory.  I shouldn't be seeing lag.

Where I'm seeing lag with other tools...

- stamp tool / healing brush (had to turn of preview in selection area to get the speed back)

- the 'new' pen tool is laggy where the old one could lay down and manipulate points in real-time

- gradation tool lag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everyone still facing this issue. I had horrible lag when using hand tool. For my system setup (which is away above PS requirements) I had to go under Edit - Preferences (ctrl + K) - Performance - Graphics Processor Settings (right side) - Advanced Settings; and check "Use OpenCL". Quit and restart. 

That worked for me. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally discovered that hand tool lags when navigator panel is open, it seems like the red frame movement in navigator panel is drawing smoothly while main image lags heavily. All of the graphics settings options (basic, normal, advanced) are lagging the same. Ryzen 2900x, 64gb ram, 1080ti (should be enough to run photoshop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can absolutely comfirm that this issue is caused by the Navigator panel being open.  I've been using Photoshop professionally for more than 20 years and to have performance bugs causing these sort of performance issues is unacceptable. Your older versions performed flawlessly.  I run PS on a dual display workstation and have always had an open Navigator panel on the second display.  It's an 'always on' full view of whatever image I'm working on and it allows me to quickly jump to anywhere on the image without having to use bird's eye view which is nauseating to use.  It's been a great workflow for a very long time now.  Adobe please stop 'improving' Photoshop by breaking things that work perfectly otherwise.  Also, please get this fixed asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... this is still a Photoshop bug (clearly).  When the Navigator Panel is open then there is crippling lag when trying to move around using the hand tool.  Adobe fix this please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing Navigator worked for me. I don't even use navigator it was just open in the background and right clicking and close fixed it. I thought it was a hardware issue at first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a bug and hasn't been addressed by Adobe - March 11, 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. I'm not sure why this issue just appeared for me, and I can't figure out how to fix it. It might have something to do with me updating Photoshop like a week ago, because it was around that time that zooming became an unbearable task. I use Photoshop for school and I have multiple deadlines coming up, if I can't fix this issue I can't turn in my assignments. 

- March 19, 2021 / Photoshop (22.3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also suffering from this bug.  Adobe, I'll give you $70 this month if you fix it :))))))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also suffering from this issue 😞 Adobe, ListlessH will give you $70 this month if you fix it!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. We get serious lag with the clone tool. saving files, closing files, etc. And it's across all versions of Pshop we have from 2019, 2020 and 2021. It's about a 5-10 second lag and kills productivity. Makes working with Photoshop so frustrating as Affinity tries to lure us away.

Seriously, what's the fix Adobe? Don't say creating a new user account or wiping our computers or re-installing the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens to me when i'm zoomed in and try to use two-fingers to scroll around the image. if i use the navigator window and click around with the red sqaure it moves fine. 

how can this not be addressed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same thing as above. It is driving me completely insane. I've tried everything suggested all over the internet and nothing helps. This just started the other day for me for no apparent reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest PS build, windows 11 and this is still a bug - can we get this fixed please?  Super annoying to have to 'scroll all windows' just to get panning to be smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening to me now, the thing that makes no sense it that if I use the scroll bars, it's instant, yet if I use the hand tool (spacebar) to move around there's a couple of seconds delay in using all tools.

I have a wacom, but I'm currently using a normal USB mouse adn this is happening.

I don't get why the scroll bars would be instant, but the hand tool using space bar would have a delay.
I'm using the latest version of PS 21. (Updated through CC app on WIndows 10)
I've yet to use PS 22 though, as I'm in the middle of a job and don't want to switch part way through

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I meant I'm using 22.5.3

Another update has just shown up now, maybe that was casuing the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the problem and the solution.
After a lot of tests, I figure out that problem ocourr when the Rulers was on. When I deactivated Rulers (Ctrl + R), the lagging was gone. But it was a temporary fix. So, I found another fix: I just uncheck that option on preferences and voilá, Photoshop's slow when zooming is gone.

Captura de tela 2022-02-25 113016.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue all moring and I can confirm that turning off your rules fixes the problem. It's just annoying becuase I like working with my rulers on and I use them very frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines