Zooming ,Scrolling and Hand Tool Sluggish Photoshop 20.0.6 Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing annoying lagging when using hand tool or zooming/scrolling. Specifically when I hit spacebar for example to move canvas around, it freezes for split second and only then moves. When I hold spacebar for 1 second and move, then it moves without any lag. I tried updating Nvidia drivers, tried all options in PS performace, nothing helps.

Win10 x64, geForce 1050 TI, 2 monitors, one 1440p at 60Hz, other 1080p at 60Hz.

Thank you

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Performance, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019
Please update Photoshop to version 21.0.1 which is the most recent version and let us know if that helps with the performance.

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ethan,

Sorry to hear about slow performance of Photoshop, could you please try enabling "Legacy compositing" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Also, what version of Photoshop you're working on? You can check the version by going to Help > System Info

You may also try optimizing the performance by following the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Regards,
Sahil

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I'm on 20.0.6 Release.

Turning to Legacy compositing improved it slightly. There is still a lag, but less so than before.

Do you think that maybe GTX 1050Ti graphics card running 2 monitors, 1080p and 1440p at 60Hz might be just too weak to handle Photoshop at the same time and might cause this sluggish performance?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update Photoshop to version 21.0.1 which is the most recent version and let us know if that helps with the performance.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating fixed it, thank you!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating does not fix this problem.  An open Navigator Panel will cause considerable lag when attempting to drage / scroll using the Hand tool in the main Canvas area.  

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super annoyed that PS is getting buggy and many tools are laggy.  The hand tool has a slight initial freeze everytime I use it.  For those of us who have been using PS for 20+ years we shouldn't see tools getting worse in terms of performance.

Threadripper 3790x workstation running the latest version of Windows 10.  GTX 1080 gpu (x3). 128GB memory.  I shouldn't be seeing lag.

Where I'm seeing lag with other tools...

- stamp tool / healing brush (had to turn of preview in selection area to get the speed back)

- the 'new' pen tool is laggy where the old one could lay down and manipulate points in real-time

- gradation tool lag

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everyone still facing this issue. I had horrible lag when using hand tool. For my system setup (which is away above PS requirements) I had to go under Edit - Preferences (ctrl + K) - Performance - Graphics Processor Settings (right side) - Advanced Settings; and check "Use OpenCL". Quit and restart. 

That worked for me. Cheers!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally discovered that hand tool lags when navigator panel is open, it seems like the red frame movement in navigator panel is drawing smoothly while main image lags heavily. All of the graphics settings options (basic, normal, advanced) are lagging the same. Ryzen 2900x, 64gb ram, 1080ti (should be enough to run photoshop).

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can absolutely comfirm that this issue is caused by the Navigator panel being open.  I've been using Photoshop professionally for more than 20 years and to have performance bugs causing these sort of performance issues is unacceptable. Your older versions performed flawlessly.  I run PS on a dual display workstation and have always had an open Navigator panel on the second display.  It's an 'always on' full view of whatever image I'm working on and it allows me to quickly jump to anywhere on the image without having to use bird's eye view which is nauseating to use.  It's been a great workflow for a very long time now.  Adobe please stop 'improving' Photoshop by breaking things that work perfectly otherwise.  Also, please get this fixed asap.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... this is still a Photoshop bug (clearly).  When the Navigator Panel is open then there is crippling lag when trying to move around using the hand tool.  Adobe fix this please.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a bug and hasn't been addressed by Adobe - March 11, 2021.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. I'm not sure why this issue just appeared for me, and I can't figure out how to fix it. It might have something to do with me updating Photoshop like a week ago, because it was around that time that zooming became an unbearable task. I use Photoshop for school and I have multiple deadlines coming up, if I can't fix this issue I can't turn in my assignments. 

- March 19, 2021 / Photoshop (22.3)

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also suffering from this bug.  Adobe, I'll give you $70 this month if you fix it :))))))

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also suffering from this issue 😞 Adobe, ListlessH will give you $70 this month if you fix it!! 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines