• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a Postscript but it's missing bleeds?

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at a printing company and we use InDesign as our designing software. To begin the printing process, we create a postscript from InDesign to drop into PRINERGY EVO (a pre-press refining software) that later takes it to PREPS (an output imposition program). When we are exporting a postscript, we check the option to include document bleeds (which are found in the InDesign document and formatted properly). However, when we view the postscript, it does not have the bleeds, which we need for cutting accurately. We began to have this problem after upgrading to Creative Cloud, if that plays a factor. Hope I explained it thoroughly!

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but based on the fact that you are using not only InDesign, but also Prinergy, why are you working with a 1990s PostScript workflow? Kodak Prinergy is a native PDF workflow system that can import PostScript. Going from InDesign to PostScript to PDF is quite lossy and doesn't make any sense. Perhaps an explanation of why you are stuck with PostScript can help us help you.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you D.I. for responding. Well, much of the explanation of our process is way before my time at this company. However, I've been told that the reasoning behind using postscript process is because we use both digital and offset printing, such Konica, Xerox, Heidelberg 4-Color, Ryobi 9985, etc. This is beneficial to us it allows us to control dot gain and picture trapping, which are essential to CTP (computer-to-plate) process. What is the most efficient process, instead of going from InDesign to Postscript to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You certainly don't gain anything whatsoever by creating PDF by distilling PostScript, including dot gain or trapping!

The recommended method for creating PDF form InDesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop is to use Export PDF (print) in InDesign and Save as PDF in Illustrator and Photoshop. You should properly set and synchronize the color settings to match your needs. And use the PDF/X-4 export/save options to yield the best results (color managed PDF with ICC profiles and live transparency). This is supported by all reasonably modern vintage RIPs and DFEs (digital front ends) and best workflow practice.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines