Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cvx exec array --nostringval-- in Distiller

Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the question would be but here's what I'm trying to do. I have very large arrays of integers that I need to include in a PostScript program. In order to reduce the size of the files, I'm trying to make the arrays more compact. I'm not sure of the best approach, but what I thought of doing was to take the code for the array, say like [16545 8612 641 25142... ...] and run it through the FlateEncode and ASCII85Encode filters. So I just have the array only encoded then put in my program "currentfile /ASCII85Decode filter /FlateDecode filter cvx exec" followed by the encoded array. When I run this through Distiller I get "Error: ioerror: --nostringval--". However, if I encode the following "1024 array dup 0 [16545 8612 641 25142... ...] putinterval" and encode that with the filters and put that in my program it runs through distiller with no error. So my question is why is it that if I just take an array and read it in and do cvx exec I get a --nostringval-- error, but if I include code to construct an array I don't get the error?

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

My instinct would be an encoding problem, perhaps a boundary condition. Try replacing the cvx exec with a call to a procedure to dump the file to stdout, and examine what you get (if anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My instinct would be an encoding problem, perhaps a boundary condition. Try replacing the cvx exec with a call to a procedure to dump the file to stdout, and examine what you get (if anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Test Screen Name. It apparently was an encoding problem. I had used ghostscript to encode the array. The encoded array did not generate an error when sent to a HP Laserjet 4100 printer. When I used Distiller to encode the array, it generated slightly different output. ghostscript was also omitting the trailing ~> which I added manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines