• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Psselect & PSNUP postscript files

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to perform Psselect & PSnup on Pst Script file.

Kinldy look at my samle file at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nt6zd59zxzvv9sw/1010459937.ps

I want to keep my first page as it is with no change, but want to merge the 2nd and 3rd Page.

Kinldly Guide how to do this using psselect and psnup

Regards

code.box@rediffmail.com

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

remove the showpage  command  U1 before %%Page: 3 3

and just add

0 -72 4 mul translate  after the line %%Page: 3 3

If you want to automate this process you can by redefining the showpage

Dr. Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used these tools but I believe they just split files based on DSC comments. This file is not DSC compliant: it is a particularly bad file because it starts with the %!PS-Adobe-3.0 comment which should only be used when it is DSC compliant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't understand your point!

You want to merge the 2nd and 3rd pages by removing the page break between them or simply put them together as two up ?

Both solutions are possible - of course the first is easier

Let me know and I will post it here

Cheers

Dr. Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for Responding Sir,

If you will see the first Page for the sample file I have uploaded, its the main bill Page. I want to keep the first page as It is.

The second Page has a very liitle data and lot of white space is left afterwards.

So I want that The 3rd Page be shifted after the contents of 2nd Page are being printed. There may be a demarcation line between the Data of two pages , if possible will be more good.

What are other alternatives avaliable ? I tried a lot to understand Post script/PS NUP etc  but could not work it out.

Kinldy Guide in detail , I am New to all these.

Regards

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your PostScript is faulty, you cannot use tools which are designed to work with DSC compliant PostScript. So it is not knowledge of the tools which is at fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

remove the showpage  command  U1 before %%Page: 3 3

and just add

0 -72 4 mul translate  after the line %%Page: 3 3

If you want to automate this process you can by redefining the showpage

Dr. Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Very Very Much Sir, Thanks a Lot.

Whatis meant by "Automate This Process" by redifining the showpage.

The Post Script which I sent to you was of Three pages. I may have some post script that may be up to 12-13 Pages.

In such cases, What will I have to do so that the Content in each page is shifted in the preceding page, if it has Enough Blank space.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the number of pages is difference from output to another then it would be hard to have the solution I gave you to put it before each page with few lines and large empty space !

The application itself must calculate the page end before it issue the postscript showpage command (or U1)  in your case.

and if you can not control the application output - then a ps procedure for re-defining the PS command showpage must be implemented to  check for page end and turn new page according to the space left at the bottom of the page.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Sir,

I got the point, I will try to do that Programitacally. Please Tell me what does

"0 -72 4 mul translate " you said above signify.

So far I think 0-72 is the row position ?

What does 2 mul translate signify ?

Another , help I am seeking with respect to PS files is Implementation of Perter Lerup Printfile Utilty. Do you have Idea about That. If yes please How will I use command Line to Print a batch file cointaing list of PS files

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe (Technical Reference) Red Book  http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/ps/index_specs.html

is the best was to explain PS commands.

However here is quick note

x y translate   % x y  the new position (origin) of the image - so basically you are shifting the image on the physical page down , up , left or right

since there is 72 dots per inch (Adobe and Press scale) then I shifted the image  4 inches down -72  4 mul

I don't know about Perter Lerup Printfile Utilty but you can use DOS  command line LPR  for printing patch of files to Postscript printers.

There are many submission tools which can bypass the printer driver and send PS files directly to your printer with wrapper as required.

Cheers

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnaks Again, but one more issue.

Using the above suggested method I have converted a  4 Page Ps file to 2 Page PS file.

I am trying to make  a utility that counts number of Pages in PS file. Now initially I was able to get the total number of Pages in each PS file in the header Information (example-%%Pages: 3) of File. But now after the above conversion of 2 or three pages in one , how will I be able to know the toatl Pages afterwards.

Is there any technique ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir,

As you have suggested, I am able to work with with 3 Page PS file But I am not able to work it out for PS files have more pages, like 6-7 pages.

I am Not understanding that Where should I delete 'U1' and where to keep it Again.

I tried for 6 Page PS file, but the content of 3rd Page was overlapped on 2nd Page.

Actually, I need that, all the Contents in PS File should be Printed in Continious way. If Page 2 is full the rest of the content should flow in page 3. If 3 becomes full, it should flow in 4 and Like wise. But the White/Blank space of each page should be Fully utilised , except the Margins at the bottom and Top to be left on each Page.

Also, How will  calculate the revised total Numebr of Pages in PS files, uptill now I was Using the Page information in the Header for counting the number of Pages.

Sample File of 6 Pages in attached here.

Is there anyway that If I remove Page Break or something like that , than my purpose will be Solved and I get all Page contents in Regualr Flow as we Get in .Doc files.

Sample PS file can be downloaed from :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5xg1wj32qwfaet/1019563004.ps

Plese Guide

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you work with random number of pages then the simple solution will not be valid!

It is valid only in 3 pages with the same layout example you gave me.

Seems to me the solution to random pages might be redefine show page or PageStart/PageEnd procedure

I believe it is behind the scope of this forum

basically you need postscript code to check the position of last character printed on the page before a decision to be taken for going to next page (new page).

Regards

Dr. Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Than Alternatively will 2 Up work i.e putting two pages on a Single sheet.

My Ultimate object is to minimize paper wastage, since the pages except Page number 1 are just the supplementary sheets.

If There is any other way like 2 Up or some other Do tell me.

Regards

Harsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Postscript has the features of any programming language with features to format raw data stream.

Here is a quick tip

Postscript has End and Start procedure once you created them at the Begin and Eng of each printed page.

you can turn the page (switch to next page) or remain in the same page  according to the position of the text -  wither it is at the bottom margin  or not

This will compress your page number easily.

This is useful site

http://www.acumentraining.com/acumenjournal.html

has very useful examples and healthy Postscript tips which will help you if you prefer to do it by yourself

Cheers

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you always talk down to others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JDStarkey 5, I'm sorry if you feel we always talk down to others. You can help us by sharing how we could have improved our responses to this very technical and difficult question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines