• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to search for available glyphs in a downloaded CID font?

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a downloaded CID font. All the font and glyph information is in the font. How can I write a PostScript program to search the font to find the available glyphs inside the font?

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

In what format are you hoping to return your search results? Unfortunately, CID fonts are not as exploration-friendly as Type 1 fonts. In particular, there are no character names, so the best you can do is print a sample sheet of some or all of the character set.

- John

===============

Acumen Training

PostScript & PDF

Consulting & Training

www.acumentraining.com

===============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

In either CID number or a sample sheet of characters with their CID number. Most importantly, I would like to know what hoops I have to jump through to reach the glyph descriptors.

Thanks so much,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,I extracted and simplified a font from a driver generated file. See attached.How can I know what glyphs are available in myFont if I want to print some?

The original file uses the GlyphDirctory and adds incremental glyphs and printed those added glyphs. But I would suspect that there are glyphs in the font; I just don't know what are they and don't know how to find out what are they.

TIARobert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attachments do not work.

Your only tool is "glyphshow".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the response; maybe there is no glyph descriptors in the font.If you need to print any glyphs, they have to be added through the GlyphDirectory.

The glyphshow will not work unfortunately, because the composefont implicitly creates a Type 0 font. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could open the font with e.g. fontforge convert to a Type1 and than do it by dumping the character dictionary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you elaborate on "open the font with e.g. fontforge"? I can download and install fontforge but don't know anything about fontforge. How fontforge take a font, a Postscript font dictionary?

TIA 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It does have support for reading/writing most font formats including CID. Type1. TTF. OTF. Type3 (limited read) etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines