• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Postscript Printing CS4 vs. CS5 or CS6

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded to CS5 and CS6 I was informed that the postscript files I give to our mailing programmer from InDesign do not work (nostringval error). As a work around I have been saving my files down to CS4 and generating the postscript from there and it works normally. The programmer is using Xerox FreeFlow VI Design Pro 10.0. I have checked all my settings and steps for creating the postscript and I am doing it the same way in all three versions of InDesign. Is there a change in the postscript language from v4 to 5 or 6 that would create the nostringval error?

Thank you

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not aware of any invalid PostScript being generated by InDesign 8 (CS6). However, from release to release of Adobe software, we definitely make changes in the generated PostScript (and similarly exported PDF and EPS) to account for new or updated features and to fix anomalies in previous releases.

It is possible that the Xerox FreeFlow VI Design Pro software is modifying the PostScript generated by InDesign (perhaps to merge variable data in some way?) and is doing so based upon pattern matching that works with the PostScript generated by InDesign 6 (CS4) but not with InDesign 8, yielding modified PostScript which is then rejected by whatever PostScript interpreter is ultimately processing that modified PostScript.

Your “mailing programmer” might want to contact Xerox to ascertain whether they may have an update to their software.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just as a matter of interest, nostringval isn't an error, it's part of the information about what was happening at the time of the error. For some reason, people always seem to skip right over the actual error and pull out this random word...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines