• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS Library for Java?

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe have a postscript print library for Java?

I called Adobe Support - and got the typical India call center (no help of course). Hopefully Adobe has smart people someplace in the company... just not sure where.

We have a Java Web Start desktop client for geospatial work that we need to add postscript support for large format printing (e.g. E size drawings). The goal is decrease print times over the normal Java2D/Windows "render a bitmap image on the client - then send it to the print server - then to the printer" method by creating a small postscript file to send to the printer - that can then create the large bitmap to print at the device.

From what I can tell Adobe has no such library - is that really true?

If so - does anyone have recomendations on a good solid commercial or open source library?

Google seaches come up with only a couple (e.g. RiePS), none of which sound very robust. Does no one develep applications to output to postscript any more?

Thanks in advance...

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Assuming that you are lookng for a library for creation of PostScript, no, Adobe offers no libraries for PostScript creation in Java or otherwise.

Most applications in common operating systems environements (Windows, MacOS, etc.) rely on the operating system's internal graphics model and the provided PostScript driver to generate PostScript for the particular device and deliver same over the device's communication channel (Ethernet, USB, etc.).

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that you are lookng for a library for creation of PostScript, no, Adobe offers no libraries for PostScript creation in Java or otherwise.

Most applications in common operating systems environements (Windows, MacOS, etc.) rely on the operating system's internal graphics model and the provided PostScript driver to generate PostScript for the particular device and deliver same over the device's communication channel (Ethernet, USB, etc.).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dov, unfortuantly that's what I thought. Being the inventers of postscript I was hoping you had developed something for Java/.Net for large format device developers.

While the built-in postscript drivers that have internal RIP's work fine for small page devices (A/B size), when you get to E size you are now talking about ~500 MB files being sent across the network, first to the print server, then to the printer. That simply is not feasible because it is so slow, so we actually want to use the RIP on the printer and just send it commands. I know that's so "80s" - but it works.

Fortuatly, after more searching I was able to locate the Apache XML Graphics Commons code, that claims to output postscript code directly. Time will tell, I would hate to resort to writing our own from scratch. If we have to do that, I'll just go with HPGL2, as it's much simpler to code and will meet our needs.

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines