Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit postscript

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I need to edit the postscript and change the font names. if i open the ps file in to ultraedit and do some changes and it's not converting the file to PDF and showing some error.

I need to edit the ps file and do some font name changes in text mode. Please suggest me what is the best way to do this?

Regards

Selva

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basd on your description, it would seem that you are producing PostScript for distillation into PDF, correct?

It would certainly help us help you if you indicated what some error actually was. Without knowing the actual error, it is very difficult to diagnose the problem.

It is important for you to realize that PostScript is not necessarily an ASCII file format. There can be binary data. Be very careful in using editors, including UltraEdit, on those files. Do not let the editor change line endings!

Changing font names implies that you know the PostScript name for the font, not necessarily the name that you might see in a layout program when you create content. If you don't have and use the PostScript name, the search for the font will fail.

Also be aware that by changing the font name, other aspects of your job may differ and possibly fail. Different fonts have different character widths. As such, you may end up with very strange looking output since the positioning of text strings was done on the basis of the original fonts specified in the PostScript file.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Thanks for your reply. Please see the below actual process what i am trying

to do.

I am using 3b2 software to create this ps file. We are not

getting actual font name in PDF and 3b2 uses font's short name always. So

from the below line i am trying to find out the long name

"HelveticaNeueLTStd-Bd" and replace in to "AdvOT34fe1490_B" font in complete

file. I am not going to do anything else in the PS File.

%The font AdvOT34fe1490_B is a conversion from HelveticaNeueLTStd-Bd

(OpenType) with the following copyright notice:

if i do then it's replacing the below lines and ending an error while

converting in to PDF file.

/FD0 {-52 -208 937 968} /AdvOT34fe1490_B (Copyright \251 1988, 1990, 1993,

2002 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved. \251 1981, 2002

Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG. All rights reserved.) (AdvOT34fe1490_B)

DPROC1

/f0 /AdvOT34fe1490_B 1058.34 0 0 -1058.34 0 0 MF

/f3 /AdvOT34fe1490_B 282.22 0 0 -282.22 0 0 MF

Please note the error while distilling the PS File.

%%[ Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: ? ]%%

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Please suggest me to overcome this problem. it would be very grateful if i

get solution within PS File.

Thanks

Selva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that you are not getting an error in terms of a missing font, but rather, a syntax error, would be indicative of some other corruption of the PostScript file, especially in some area that was binary data of some type. As I indicated, you must be very careful not to let your editor change what it thinks are line ending characters.

You are changing the name of a font, but is that font embedded in the PDF file? If it is already embedded in the PDF file, why would you want or need to change its name? If it is not embedded, then conceivably, you only need to edit the reference to the font.

Why can you not change the reference to the font in the program that generates the PostScript? That would make more sense.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Selva

I understand your problem. There are some options to embedded your fonts.

1. PDF direct from 3B2 to get embedded fonts instead of going through PS.

2. Edit Distiller Settings --> Fonts --> Remove check box of "Subset embedded fonts when percent of .... 100%"

3. Pitstop steps given below

1. Load and activiate fonts specific to the title into a font management program like Suitcase

2. Open PDF files with Adobe Acrobat

2.1 [This step is to remove the possible issue outlined below. Do not use until the issue is realized using the standard processing steps.] Run pitstop action "split text into characters.eal"

3. Open PITSTOP INSPECTOR window

4. Select font that needs to be embedded using PITSTOP SELECTION TOOL

5. Open PITSTOP GLOBAL CHANGE window

6. Select the TEXT Category button

7. Choose REMAP FONT action – go to next screen by clicking the blue arrow button, you should now be in the ORIGINAL FONT window

8. Click the GRAB button, make sure the font name matches the font name in the Inspector window – go to next screen by clicking the blue arrow button, you should now be in the CHANGE FONT TO window

9. Select the FONT PICKER button

10. The FONT PICKER window will appear, on the top row you will have the choices of PAGE – DOCUMENT – SYSTEM -> choose the SYSTEM button, this will give all of the fonts that are activated within your system

11. Choose the correct font that corresponds with the 3B2 font name -> in the lower right hand corner there is a EMBED FONT check box, make sure this is selected to fully embed the font -> click OK

12.  Within the CHANGE FONT TO window click the blue arrow button, this will take you to the APPLY TO window

13. From the drop down menu select COMPLETE DOCUMENT -> click the RUN button

14. Repeat steps 1 thru 13 for all fonts not fully embedded.

POSSIBLE ISSUES: If the above process ends with text running into each other (truncating) please use step 2.1 before going on to step

4. Font Embed in 3B2 plugins provide by below concern. In this 3B2 plug-in you can select your distiller job option and make fully embedded font pdf. But its for price like we won't normally do that..... Since i didnt try that

Here are the email ID

Email ID:        sales@cafecontentsolution.x10.bz

Let me know if u solved this --> suresh3b2@gmail.com

Regards

Suresh Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2010 Sep 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Suresh And Selva

We are using CCS Distiller for fully  emmbed fonts in PDF and it's also support 3B2 short font name to convert it to long.

Font Embed in 3B2 plugins or distiller by Cafe Content Solutions (CCS) is really good in nature of work.

We only notice difference in website address and email ID's  (missing S) provided by suresh.

Here are the email ID

Email ID:        sales@cafecontentsolutions.co.cc

Price: 374 EUR.

Thanks

Amrit Gaule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selva,

After you have confirmed/replaced your text editor - that it is not changing line endings or binary data in the PostScript file, as Dov suggested, I would suggest searching for the offending command (in this case it appears to be a solitary question mark). If the offending command appears multiple times and it is not apparent why any of the occurrences would cause an error, then you could use some variation of the following PostScript print code inserted at appropriate points to help you determine the location of the error:

!PS-Adobe...

(section 1: starting...\n) print

(section 1: ended\n) print

(section 2: starting...\n) print

etc.

The text in parenthesis will "print" to your distiller output log until the error occurs. In this way you can narrow the field of searching/troubleshooting to fix an error.

This is a simplification of the automated method I use in our PostScript drivers to resolve problems quickly in large complex files.

-Marvin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

pznadth1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines