Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workflow for bird photography

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All -

I'm a professional bird photographer working on a video project with birds.   I've used adobe products for many years and am expert with Lightroom and to some extent photoshop.  I've watched tutorials on Prelude, Premiere and FCPX, and have played around with them.  I also have Edit ready and other transcoding software.  I'm using a Sony Alpha A9 and previously shot with a Canon C100 Mk2.  My computer is a loaded 2017 iMac 27", and I have a Pegasus Thunderbolt raid I can use for editing. 

SO, the issue I have is that I'm shooting hundreds of short clips of birds in flight.  If this was a photo project my workflow would be to pick my "keeper" images in Photomechanic (faster than Lightroom) and throw out the rest.  Then convert the keepers to DNG and delete the originals.  Imports DNGs in Lightroom to rename (BirdName_ShootDate_Sequence#) and do quick corrections.  Later, if I need an image I can search by bird name, date, etc and then do some final adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop (if necessary) and export to JPG or whatever I need.

My question is, what is the best workflow for a similar problem with video.  I'm shooting short clips, usually under 1 minute.  For each clip I'd like to be able to name it with the name, date and a sequence number if possible and trim away any unusable parts.  I'd also like to be able to discard clips I don't want - as in delete them permanently.  I know that's supposed to be bad practice, but I'm shooting a lot, and clips that are bad are really bad, ie. I will NEVER use them. 

I'm wondering if Prelude is the right logging tool.  I was thinking I could pick the clips I want to keep, possibly rename them, set in and out points, and then export them.  I'm not sure at this point is transcoding is necessary.  I could browse those clips in Premier or FCPX and when I need to use them I can edit / combine / stabilize / etc there. 

Any help on this would be much appreciated!  If these were photos, I'd have a handle on it, but video is a new (and exciting!) world for me.  Thanks so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd recommend the standard Prelude workflow. That is, transcode your raw clips into your preferred format while re-naming them, then use Prelude to make subclips. Compile your subclips into a rough cut then send into Premiere. You'll have to manually delete your files though, Prelude thankfully can't do that automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources