• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All of a sudden I can no longer import and run MP4 in Premiere Elements. Any suggestion?

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Premiere and Photoshop Elements 2020. For several months I have been loading MP4 videos from an app on my phone. All worked well.

Today when I tried to load a video I got the message "media files were skipped because they are not supported .."

When I try to run one of the previously loaded videos in Organiser I get the message "The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required codec".

I have reinstalled the HEIF and HEVC codecs and rebooted several times but no joy.

I have not (AFAIK) changed anything recently to cause this.

Any suggestions???

Thank you.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

"I have reinstalled the HEIF and HEVC codecs and rebooted several times but no joy."

I accidentally did that many months ago and had similar results.   It took a painful session with Adobe customer support to straiten it out.   

There is a long topic here that might get you going:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-elements-discussions/faq-what-should-i-do-if-premiere-elements-2020-fails-to-import-hevc-media-files-in-windows-10/td-p/10953097

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the app on your phone changed the output file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

The older files that I have previously loaded also are not playable now from the Organiser. So Elements has the same problem with older files already in the catalogue and new ones I am trying to add.

Also, I can load the files onto the PC independently of Elements and get them to play via another prog (eg. PowerDVD) and they play. So the problem seems limited to the Adobe suite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4 is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?
Report back with the codec details of your file, use the program below
Free program to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
- when you analyze your file in MediaInfo and post a screen shot in the forum, do so in TREE view
- post your information IN your message, not as an attachment that someone would have to download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-12-13.png

 I hope I have done this right. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file is HEVC with VFR (Variable Frame Rate)

PrE has never done well with VFR (sometimes works, mostly doesn't work so well) so convert to CFR (Constant Frame Rate) and see if that works

Use https://handbrake.fr/ open source transcoder/converter to convert to Constant Frame Rate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements might be having trouble reading the 20 fps.

You cannot compare Elements which is a NLE to a media player like Power DVD; two different worlds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have reinstalled the HEIF and HEVC codecs and rebooted several times but no joy."

I accidentally did that many months ago and had similar results.   It took a painful session with Adobe customer support to straiten it out.   

There is a long topic here that might get you going:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-elements-discussions/faq-what-should-i-do-if-premiere-elemen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I followed that link. The eventual magic was deleting

• BadDrivers.txt
  • CurrentDisplayDriver.txt
  • LocalBadDriver.txt

All working again.

Thank you to all who offered help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect!  Thank you Fivebar for responding with your success!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines