Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio1 and Video1 issues

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating my first video and have two issues:

1.  I have several clips that make up the video.  The Audio1 and Video1 are blue for all clips except one, which is colored gray.  The audio "waves" are still on the timeline, but when it runs, during that clip, the screen is black and there is no audio.  I evidently clicked on something to "hide" the clip, but I have no clue how to make it visible/audible again.

2.  After hitting Ctrl/A to highlight the Audio for my entire video, I Normalized the Audio Gain.  For the most part, it was effective excepts that, while most clips are fine, some clips no longer have any audio.  The video is there, but no sound.  I am clueless.

Any help with either or both of these problems would be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Have you tried right-clicking on the gray clip and selecting the Enable option?

If that doesn't fix it -- it may be that you are opening an project created in an older version of the program with a newer version of the program. Is that the case? If so, that could be at the root of your problem.

Premiere Elements is not backwards compatible. In other words, if you open a project created in an older version of the program with a newer version of the program, the project can get buggy or even corrupt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of your timeline?

FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re #1, right-click on the clip on your timeline and check that it is Enabled.

Re #2, because of the way Normalize works, I don't know that you can apply it to more than one clip on your timeline at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Steve Grisetti.  I saved and closed the program and when I brought it back up later, the gray area was back to blue.

Steve, the video that I am creating consists of four people that were interviewed.  I assume that I should have Normalized the clips first, as due to editing out sections of the interviews, they are now numerous shorter clips.  Do I have to Normalize each individual clip?

Also, I watched your eight part series on YouTube; it was very helpful! However, I was already quite far into my project before I found your series.  I did not go through the New Project>Change Settings steps that you describe in the first video. The video clips are .mov and were shot with my Canon DSL camera; they are 1920x1088 with a frame rate of 24 frames/sec. There are three still photos included as well. Will I have trouble when I go to output it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peru Bob. I saved my program and shut it down; when I turned it back on, the gray was gone, so that is back to normal. 

Regarding the Audio Gain/Normalizing, Steve Grisetti indicated that I may not be able to do it all at once.  So I am just going to Normalize each clip and see if that works.

Thank you for your response and effort to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peru Bob and Steve Grisetti, please disregard my responses above.  I realized that when I reopened, I brought up an earlier version which was why the gray was gone.  So, I still have the problem. Also, notice that the Undo/Redo buttons are grayed out as well.  I'm stuck right now as I don't want to move forward without fixing this issue. Here is a screenshot of the section that I am referring to.  Thanks in advance for any help for this newbie! I am extremely grateful that you guys take the time and share your knowledge to help us!

P.S. I am also still concerned about the New Project>Settings issue I mentioned above, but forget about the Normalizing question; I will just plan to Normalize each clip individually when I get going again. 

Gina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh! I am just a little frazzled and frustrated by now. Here is the screenshot RLC photo.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried right-clicking on the gray clip and selecting the Enable option?

If that doesn't fix it -- it may be that you are opening an project created in an older version of the program with a newer version of the program. Is that the case? If so, that could be at the root of your problem.

Premiere Elements is not backwards compatible. In other words, if you open a project created in an older version of the program with a newer version of the program, the project can get buggy or even corrupt completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow you are up early, Mr. Grisetti .  Enable worked!  Thank you so much!

I do have the 2018 version; I just purchased it a couple days ago so am still on a steep learning curve. I remain concerned about the fact that I did not change any settings before I started this project. I have spent considerable time on it and don't want to start over, but I also do not want to get to the end of the project and find out that I cannot complete it because I did not know to change any settings when I started it.  In the middle of project, is there any way to know if my settings will be ok or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When your project settings are correct for your video, you will get the best performance. But there is no way to change your project settings in the middle of a project. However, if you are able to edit without problems, don't worry too much about it.

Glad we could help you fix your video!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines