Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bad image scaling quality with high resolution images

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the problem that high resolution images look very bad if I scale them with premiere elements 2021. Steps to reproduce:

1. Add high resolution (e.g. 14 megapixel image) to timeline
  2. Zoom in a little (e.g. to avoid black bars)
  3. Export Video

Result: The image looks blurry and pixelated

After a lot of searching I found out that this is a "feature". By default video/image clips are scaled to the frame size of the project. If you then rescale the image you'll upscale an already downscaled image. You can avoid this if you:

1. Select the clip in the time line
  2. Choose Clip -> Video Options
  3. Deselect "Scale To Frame Size"

You have to do this for every clip and there is no way to change the default setting. In my opionion this is a bug or at least a very bad user experience.

I would really appreciate if you could fix this

TOPICS
Error or problem , Feature request , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scale to Framesize is default on in the Preferences.

Unchek this featuere. This will take effect only on newly imported images.

For image already in the project: select all images in the timeline, right click>clip>deselect Scale.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I must have missed the option in the preferences.

Wouldn't it be much more useful if there would be the option to set the scaling in the fx tab automatically? At the moment there are two different kind of scaling methods:

• "scale to framesize"
  • scaling under motion in the fx tab

and if you use them together you'll end up with a low quality result. I think this isn't a great user experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>and if you use them together you'll end up with a low quality result. I think this isn't a great user experience.

That depends on how you use the feature. Scaling down does not reduce image quality.

In video all that matters is height and width in pixels.

If you want to do some panning and zooming best is to make the image no larger then twice the framesize. After export the image will be scaled down anyways and loosing image quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines