• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Codec Missing

New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just stepped into the world of shooting video. I've done a limited number using my Nikon DSLR and have had no issues. I recently purchased a GoPro 7 Black, a new laptop with a i7-8750H, 32gig of RAM, NVIDIA Ge Force GTX 1050 w/4gig GDDR5, 1TB SSD, & 4k 15" display.  I also purchased Adobe Premiere Elements after reading several reviews comparing the elements to the Pro version since I'm only doing occasional editing on an amateur level. When I try to import a video into Elements, I get a notice that the file is not supported due to a missing codec. First, where would I find the "codec"? Clearly I did not purchase the Pro ($250/yr) since I'm just beginning my voyage into video. am I needing a different editor to use the better quality vids from the GoPro?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

You're caught in a war of the corporate titans over licensing of a codec called "H.265".   Adobe chooses to not include it in their basic video editor system.  The assumption is that it relates to the costs of the licensing fees.

H.264 is much closer to a universal codec and is well supported.

I don't have a GoPro but I've read that only one or two of the format choices requires H.265.  If I remember right, it is the 4K at 60 frames per second.  Other settings in the GoPro use H.264.

Your choice

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're caught in a war of the corporate titans over licensing of a codec called "H.265".   Adobe chooses to not include it in their basic video editor system.  The assumption is that it relates to the costs of the licensing fees.

H.264 is much closer to a universal codec and is well supported.

I don't have a GoPro but I've read that only one or two of the format choices requires H.265.  If I remember right, it is the 4K at 60 frames per second.  Other settings in the GoPro use H.264.

Your choices are three.  (1) Pick a different setting in the camera.  (2) Convert the 60fps H.265 footage to H.264 using the (free) Handbrake program or (3) buy an video editor optimized for H.265 processing.

If you must use H.265 and bought Premiere Elements from Adobe directly, you have up to 30 days to return the product.   If the only thing that counts is H.265, I would be happy to suggest a different video editor.

GoPro themselves have some specific instructions on their website about editing H.265 footage.  I can find the links for you if you need them.

FWIW, there is not an improvement in image or picture quality with H.265 over H.264.  The primary difference is a change in compression strategy.  Only a few specialty cameras and some cell phones use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the excellent answer to my dilemma. I had purchased the package of Adobe Elements (PhotoShop & Premiere) for $99 to work on the new laptop. I'm a couple of weeks beyond return date. B4 I got the laptop, I was using HandBrake and VideoProc to convert to H264. The desktop is ~4 years old and was taking forever to batch convert a series of 30 second clips. At 1st, I thought it was the OS (W7Pro64). I finally discovered that I would need a different processor, More memory & W10 - =$1200 of upgrades.

As a side note, sometimes when setting parameters in the settings of the GoPro, I get a warning - - "to playback at this resolution/fps, your computer must support HVEC". My new pc does. From poking around, I understand that HVEC is a better compression (H265 vs H264) than those used 5 years ago. I did notice one of the 2 minute vid went from 1gig to 183meg in size. All my video has mp4 extensions so I cannot tell which ones are HVEC until trying to import into Premiere Elements. So I gather the only difference in the two codecs is just how much size it takes on the HDD. I do want to be able to use the GoPro at it's best quality - 60fps and up at any resolution and 4k 4:3 30 or 24fps.

Right now I'm playing with a trial of CyberLink PowerDirector which so far, does not balk at the HVEC.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the logic, but HEVC/H.265 does work with Premiere Elements when installed on an Apple computer, but not a Windows machine.  The codec comes built into iOS. 

Based only on what I read, PowerDirector is a good choice if you need to edit H.265 on a Windows computer. 

To determine the codec inside of video files the free utility called MediaInfo is useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new laptop has built in support for HVEC - both the W10 OS and the Coffee Lake 6 core processor i7-8750H. It will PLAY the HVEC vids using VLC, PotPlayer64, & the player that came in W10. Also in PowerDirector. Not in Premiere Elements though. Maybe someday :{  Thanks for the hint on MediaInfo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

we've just installed PRE and PSE on our computer and it's telling us it does not support .png files in PRE. The site here says it does and our olders versions (2014) did. How can this be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it does not support .png"

I just tried a .png on my Windows machine and it works.  What is your .png file?  What is it's structure?  Your machine?  Something has to be different.  Can you share the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't share any files because it's a company computer, but thanks for pointing me a the direction of looking at my png files in general. So today will be a testing day on what works and what doesn't.

Sincerely,

F. Bue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines