• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropping and changing format

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Elements 15 and have not found a way to do something. So in an image editor, if you crop an image the result is a new image whose size is determined by the crop. Apparently PE doesn't work that way - if I start with, say, a 1920 x 1080 video and crop it, I still have a 1920 x 1080 video with the uncropped part of the frame blacked out.

Is there a way to crop the video so as to actually change the format so for example if I crop to a small 192 x 108 area in the center of the frame then I will end up with a 192 x 108 format video? I've also attempted to change the project settings but the 1920 x 1080 numbers are not editable.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Again Elements does not crop on export.

You cannot do that in Elements you need a more advanced video tool like Premiere Pro.

Scaling up in the timeline and then scaling down on export will give downgraded images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In video, for lack of better words, it feels more like "zooming in".

1.  Put the CTI (timeline indicator) over your clip

2.  Select/highlight the clip with your mouse

3.  Click in the middle of the preview screen

Little dots show up that you can grab and use to enlarge or shrink what you see.  You can also grab the middle and move it around for composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what  you suggested but don't understand what it does. It shrinks the frame down to a smaller size and leaves black everywhere else. It appears not to change the original frame format such as 1920 x 1080 but just makes the content appear in a smaller window within that frame. Is there a way to change the video format to match that smaller window size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a hard time understanding the question.   But, if you move the buttons the other way, it "crops".  The buttons will move outside the preview monitor and no black bars appear.   You will see a "cropped" image.

In photo processing there is a process called "resizing" and it is about pixels.  If that is what you are trying to do, I don't think it works in video.  It does not work in Premier Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm getting this now - the answer is to move the buttons the other way as you suggest and fill the 1920 x 1080 with the content I want, say the middle 960 x 540 as in my above example. Then I can save it as a 960 x 540 frame using the custom export. So the content I am interested in will first be scaled up using the buttons and then scaled down during export. Maybe not exactly as desirable as what I was looking for, but it should work well enough in most cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear do you want to crop the image (cut of the edges) or scale it down.

Elements does not crop on export.

Premiere Pro can.

Why do you want 192 x 108. That is post stamp size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

192 x 108 was just an example (but actually useful in some situations).

I'm apparently not explaining myself well so let me try again - Suppose I have a 1920 x 1080 still image and I crop it in Photoshop using, say, a 960 x 540 crop. What I end up with is a 960 x 540 image whose content is what was in the crop window.

Now let's move on to Premiere Elements. I now have a 1920 x 1080 video but I'm only interested in the center 960 x 540 content of the frame. I'd like to crop the video to consist of just that content and end up with a 960 x 540 video. If I use the PE crop tool, it just blacks out what was not in the crop window and it's still a 1920 x 1080 video. If I do a custom export and specify a 960 x 540 frame size, it will create that but again it just shows the area of interest surrounded by black.

In other words, I'd like to have a crop tool that crops the frame and redefines the video frame size to whatever the crop window was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again Elements does not crop on export.

You cannot do that in Elements you need a more advanced video tool like Premiere Pro.

Scaling up in the timeline and then scaling down on export will give downgraded images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how it is done in PrPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that's what I want !!   Unfortunately, at present I don't do enough video editing to justify PrPro but it's good to know that it's there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines