• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a simple way of only importing video files into Elements Organiser?

Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Lightroom user and have multiple catalogues for my photos but want my Elements Organiser to fins and to import just Video Files sitting on my Hard Drives for use in Premiere Elements.
Unfortunately, the Import functions do not differentiate between video files and other media, photos, etc., so this is proving difficult.
Anyone any ideas?
Perhaps Adobe could design the Organiser import functions to be more discriminating?

TOPICS
Feature request , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum with "some" Adobe staff participation, use the link below to make a report or request
-https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/

I don't use organizer at all... is it possible to restrict it to individual folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John.

Yes, you can restrict by folder, but if the folder/sub-folders contain mixed media, as is the case for an import from a digital camera, everything is catalogued. Furthermore, that assumes you know where each and every video is stored!

I am currently importing everything and will then see if i can create a video only view.

It still seems odd that you cannot filter effectovely by file-type at the import stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stoneybroke,

I am a Lightroom user too.  It works so well at keeping track of all my video clips and still images that I have abandon Organizer.  Part of my workflow includes the use of "Original" selection in the "File Settings" portion of the Export sequence.   Using the variety of organization and selection tools in Lightroom, I export copies to a project dedicated folder.  I prefer working with copies leaving the originals where they are.   

Lightroom also makes it an easy one step operation getting files off my camera to my computer.  If I know I will be immediately starting a project, the Import sequence has an option to put a copy in my project dedicated folder.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Tip whsprague

I am quite organised in Lightroom, using dates to organise imports etc. and I too, use some of the import options to copy rather than move, and so on. However, LR it doesn't really handle videos very well, so I was hoping to use the Elements Organiser just for Videos so I can do something with all those videos scattered around my hard disks in Premiere Elements.

I may go back over my LR Catalogues and do as you suggest.

Organiser has found 138,000 media files on my disks so it may be a big job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"However, LR it doesn't really handle videos very well..."

It does for me.  What does it not do for you?  Maybe I can point to something that will work better.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom Catologue shows the videos, yes, but Develop does not support videos and no option to open in an editor (now Premiere Elements for me) from the gallery.

Furthermore, playback in Lightroom for some formats appears glitchy compared to the same file which plays smoothly via VLC or another media player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"... but Develop does not support videos"

That's correct.  It does not work like an NLE, but there is a lot that Lightroom will do to video clips.  The Quick Develop panel in the Library module works on clips.  You can also capture a frame to JPEG, edit the JPEG in the Develop module, cut and paste the Develop Settings to the video and, finally, Export the clip.   You can also put the clips in a Slideshow, even mixed with stills.  

"no option to open in an editor (now Premiere Elements for me) from the gallery."

Not directly, but my workflow is to select videos I want and "Export" copies to a folder where I import them into Premiere Elements, Premiere Pro or even the Video Editor in Windows Photos.  For an NLE to work, clips have to be imported in ways specific to each one. 

"..playback in Lightroom for some formats appears glitchy" 

I normally work with 4K MP4 files and don't have that problem.  There is a video cache setting in Lightroom that applies and it appears that preview settings make a difference too.   Even with that, Lightroom makes it easy to right click, Show in Explorer and use VLC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. LR obviously works for you as you seem to be more used to including video in your workflow.

I do not use much video and wanted to trawl my discs for all videos - which are mainly family/holiday snippets - to draw them together in a single catalogue, without mixing in stills or audio, to then decide how to edit them for future viewing.

Neither LR or Elements Catalogue allow you to search for a specific file or media type to import. LR does a better job because you can at least sort before hitting the import button so uncheck all the media types you don't want.

I have now done what I set out to do by importing everything into an Elements Catalogue, then removing all but the movies. Then a tidy up followed to remove videos that were not mine but in application directories, etc.

For comparision I then imported the catalogue to Lightroom.

LR Catalogue is much faster than Elements Organiser and, as you say, some minor corrections can be made on-the-fly, something Organiser cannot do.

Most formats do play smoothly, but some odd ones from various older digital compacts (3gp for example) struggles to play in LR.

Going back to my original point, I just thought the whole process could be simplified if there was an opportunity to filter file/media types from at the start of the search/import, rather than having to remove items later.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"..the whole process could be simplified if there was an opportunity to filter file/media types from at the start of the search/import..."

As I said, I don't know enough about Organizer to answer.  There is that feature in Lightroom in the Import routine.  You sort by File Type or Media Type, do a selection and then import.  Lightroom offers choice for catalog, collection and destination folder.  

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines