• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MOV Video file not recognized as video but as audio

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I imported the video clip (MOV) into Premiere Elements 2018, it is not recognized as a video file, but it has an audio file. When I used other media apps to open the file outside of Premiere Elements, it plays as a video file without any problem.

I am using Windows 10.  Please help!

Premiere Screen Shot.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model of camcorder is this video coming from? Note that video from many iPhones uses a that Premiere Elements is not able to edit.

Open the video in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the report to this forum.

We'll better be able to help you once we know what the file is made up of. MOVs can be made up of any of dozens of audio and video codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Thanks for your reply!  My video was recorded on an iPhone X and it is 40 minutes long.  Based on your post, I am assuming Premiere Elements does not support that type of a file?  That is unfortunate.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2019 is supposed to work with this type of video. Download the free trial and see if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if this relates, but.....

The newest iPhones have an option to record in what Apple calles "HEVC".  It used a codec called "H.265" that remains tangled in corporate issues over licencing.

The current release of iOS from Apple includes the HEVC/H.265 codec.  So, the 2019 version of Premiere Elements is supposed to work fine when installed on a Mac. 

Windows does not have HEVC/H.265 codecs.  Premiere Elements 2019 is not capable of editing those files.  The "work around" is to use the (free) Handbrake to convert the H.265 to H.264. 

Older iPhones have been using a "variable frame rate" in video files.  Until version 2019, Premiere Elements on either operating system would balk on iPhone footage.  Now variable frame rates should work.

(I can't verify any of this because I don't have any Apple products)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines