• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prermiere crashes after opening an mp4-file from my GoPro

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open an mp4 file which was filmed with my GoPro 9 (either HEVC/H.264 or HEVC compressed) with Adobe Premiere Elements 2021 the software crashes after a few clicks. I can normaly open the file in Premiere and also make some cuts but then: crash! So it seems to me that it's not a general problem with the HEVC compression. And also my computer doesn't have problems with mp4-files from other cameras (Sony ActionsCams, Insta...). It's only a problem with all files from the GoPro.

I also deinstalled and reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 2021 but that didn't help. The crash-Problem is still there.

Solutions anybody?

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you are adding a 4K file at 60 fps, which Premiere Elements can't read.

To confirm this, open your GoPro footage in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the text of this report and paste it to this forum. With this information we'll be better able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a 1080p 240fps-file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you film in 30 fps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it: No problems with 30fps, 60fps and 120 fps videos (each with 1080p) - only with 240 fps Premiere Elements 2021 has problems (but this is the number of frames I need for my actual project (where the videos are already filmed) and future projects) 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. 240 fps could be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 240 fps seem to be the reason for the crash, yes. But the problem is still on the side of Adobe Premiere Elements 2021 I would say. I also used the program for Insta 360 One-r-videos with 1080p and 200 fps and it was no problem. So I am suprised that it has problems with 240 fps and still be thankfull for help/a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know for sure how to solve your issue.  I'm guessing, but I think the GoPro uses the H.265/HEVC codec.  If it were me, I would try using the (free) Handbrake program to transcode that footage into the H.264/AVC codec in an MP4 container file.  Premiere Elements might do fine with it. 

Another possibility is to use GoPro provided software.  I don't own a GoPro but have read that GoPro provides software to make their footage "more editable" in common video editing programs.  

Anything that shoots at 240 fps has to do something tricky compared to "normal" cameras.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines