• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slowed video

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 4k video I recorded from an iphone 8 , using an app called 'ProMovie'....I sent the file to my pc for editing in Adobe Elements which I recently bought and am very new to. The video looks fine and dandy when played back in any media player on the pc, but when I load it into Adobe Elements for editing,etc, it appears to have ever  so slightly slowed the video down. It becomes VERY evident when  my hands are moving fast or there is faster movement on the screen. It's almost like the old days when you had a really slow computer that couldn't keep up with streaming or processing video. My system specs are pretty good though, AMD RX 570 video card, AMD Ryzen 2700X CPU , Asus Rog Strix 450-F motherboard, 16 gigs of memory....clearly the system is NOT the reason. What was really disheartening, was when I exported the project, thinking maybe that slight slowdown in the video would not occur in the final output, I was disappointed to see the resulting file had the slowed down effect. What causes this? Again, the raw video  file plays back just fine in windows media player, VLC and windows other media player...the file is a 1.8gig .MOV file. Thanks for any input or tips. I come from the pc multi-track audio recording and editing side of things and video is new to me. Thanks for any input!

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely the issue is related to specs in the MOV file. As you may know, MOVs are not a single file format. They're actually a file envelope which can include any of dozens of codecs and compression systems, many of which Premiere Elements can have trouble identifying.

When you first add that MOV to your timeline do you see a yellow orange 'render' line along the top of the timeline above the clip? This is an indication that the program was not able to identify and match the file's specs and that is resulting in poor program performance.

Open your MOV in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the text of this report and paste it to this forum. Once we know the detailed specs of this file we'll better be able to advise you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!...here it is:

General
Complete name : C:\Users\ridge\Downloads\SHAREit\iPhone 8\video\IMG_0441.MOV
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt 0000.00 (qt )
File size : 1.82 GiB
Duration : 6 min 33 s
Overall bit rate : 39.8 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2020-09-28 02:13:52
Tagged date : UTC 2020-09-28 02:20:25
Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 6 min 32 s
Source duration : 6 min 32 s
Bit rate : 39.5 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 30.370 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 30.341 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 30.418 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.157
Stream size : 1.81 GiB (99%)
Source stream size : 1.81 GiB (99%)
Title : Core Media Video
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : hvcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Duration : 6 min 33 s
Source duration : 6 min 33 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 244 kb/s
Nominal bit rate : 256 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Channel layout : C
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 11.4 MiB (1%)
Source stream size : 11.4 MiB (1%)
Title : Core Media Audio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention...I can't remember if the yellow line were there...I don't think it was...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an HEVC H.265 4K video with variable frame rate. A lot going on there.

It would definitely be valuable to know if that render line appears above your clip. I'd be surprised to learn the program was capable of matching the specs of that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just imported the video again to as a new project and sure enough it does have the yellow line!...

yellow line.JPG

I remember now that it didn't have the slowed down effect until I clicked the 'Render' button...I wasn't sure when or why to click it, I just did LOL....interesting though, opening the file again and before clicking the Render button, the slowdown effect is NOT present, but the video quality is still markedly poorer than when just playing it back from any media player. That seems bizarre to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an experiment, convert the video to an MP4 using the free download Handbrake, per my tutorial. See if that resolves the issue. You should still be able to keep it a 4K file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just tried it.....converted the video clip to .mp4...When I play the resulting .mp4 file in a media player, it looks almost as good as the original .MOV file, or at least acceptable enough for me. Maybe just the slightlest bit less sharp but passeable and the issue with the slowed video is no longer there. However when I import it into my project in Adobe Elements (which includes a stand alone stereo audio track I meticulously worked to sync up with the video clip), it still looks like it lost resolution. There is no longer the razor sharp clarity of the of the original .MOV file , nor the .mp4 file when played outside of Adobe Elements. Something inside the program is either compressing or degrading the video sharpness quality or there is a setting I haven't figured out yet to ensure a 1 to1 exact copy , qualitywise of the video clip going into Adobe Elements I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines