• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"

New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several weeks ago I started editing video, using premier elements. Today, I tried to open that same project up, in premier elements, and keep getting an error. "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed". What's silly, is the file was created in the program and won't let me open it.  I've tried some older files, that I was able to open in the past and get the same error.

[Moderator note: this seems to be Premiere Elements rather than Premiere Pro, moved to the correct forum.]

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you double clicking on a project file to open?  You need to have Premiere Elements closed when doing that.

If you open Premiere Elements and try to import the project file like you import media instead of trying to open it, you will get that error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it both ways at this point.  Also made sure the program was updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you double click the project file when Premiere Elements is not open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope you are trying to open .prel file?

Please use File > Open Project and select the file

was the project file (.prel) file created in the same Elements version?

Please share the version of the Elements you have. Please share the file with us if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines