• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring a file from one computer to another

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just successfully downloaded a fresh version of Elements 14 (the one I have on my older computer) to a newer, slightly faster one. Luckily, I had retained the serial numbers, so I had no problem.

However, when I now transfer the project I had been working on, the one that ends with "prel", it is not playable. I realize now I had to also transfer all the video files that I used for this project. IN the future, is there a type of file that I could use that would include all this info--so that I could just go from 1 computer to another without this being a major event?

Thanks.

LNovik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the program's File menu you'll find the Project Archiver. This tool is designed to do just what you're doing -- move your project file and all linked media files from your computer to another hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOt working for me. I wanted to see if my old file, which would freeze on my old computer, would run smoothly on my very much updated computer. I went to "file archiver" on my original computer and saved the file to  that computer. I then transferred it to a thumb drive. I then plugged the thumb drive into the  new computer, and tried to open a few project from that thumb drive copy. While I see  that there were files copied, none of them either make a sound or show any video. Did I miss a step? I would think that this would work, since, as you said, that it the whole reason for this function.

Thanks.

LNovik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have missed a couple steps. 

You have to move the project file (.prel) AND all the video clips used in the project.  Choices in the archiver will do that or you can do it manually.  The challenge is to maintain the link adresses.

Thumb drives are inherently slow and they have a different drive letter.  The project file will probably be confused by that. 

In the Archiver try selecting "Copy Project", put it on the thumb drive and then copy that to the new computer.  I've not done this for awhile, you may have to relink the assets on the new computer due to drive name changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have purchased Adobe 2018 and have searched this mult times. That is, the subject of archiving.

Mr Grisetti said: You have to move the project file (.prel) AND all the video clips used in the project.  Choices in the archiver will do that or you can do it manually.  The challenge is to maintain the link adresses.

I can save the file, with all of it's associated video files, easily enough. I then transferred it back from the USB onto my new computer's hard drive. But how to upload it back into Premiere as a new project? You said "choices in the archiver will do that." I don't see any choices of how to UPLOAD a copied folder from my old computer. ANd, if I just want to create a new project, this archived copy is a folder, and I can, obviously, only open files.

Thanks.

LNovik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines