Video files being marked Offline

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit a series of video files to make a DVD, but each time I re-enter Premiere Elements, most of my videos get marked as "Offline".  I have not moved any files, so the "pointers" should still be valid.  After noticing this, I then use "Replace footage" to re-link to the same file, and it look good.  But once I close Premiere Elements, and re-open it again for another editing session, they show "Offline" again.  My project has about 58 video files that I need to edit together.  Does anyone know what might be causing this?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the physical location of the files?

Are they on an internal drive, or an external drive?

If external, have you told Windows/Mac to "lock"  the drive letter?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are on an internal hard drive (D).

I even started editing all over again (writing to a new prel file), and by the 4th day, they are almost all marked as "Offline".

This is using Windows 11 21H2, fully up to date with all updates.

This time, Adobe Premiere Elements shows v20.0 (I previously had 20.2 before I uninstalled and re-installed from a fresh download).

Frustration is getting the better of me, as it never tells me that files are missing.  I just see "Offline" in the Project Assets drop-down, and when I go to create a DVD or MP4 file, I see the "media offline" screen instead of my video.

The MOV videos that keep doing this were from my iPhone.

The MP4 videos from another video camera are not experiencing this issue.

Do I need to convert MOV files to MP4 before I can use them?

I know that I used to have to do that with previous versions, but was told that Premeire Elements 2022 would properly handle MOV files.  Maybe it doesn't handle them as well as I was led to believe it did.

I'll try using Handbrake to convert them to MP4 files, and replace them in my project, and see if that makes a difference.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I edit MOV files from a Canon SX510 camera and have zero problems

Video from a cell phone can cause problems, using handbrake will "often" solve those problems

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines