Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is audio appearing in all channels?

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have been using Premiere Elements 2019 without issue since its release. However, the last time I imported a video clip it replicated the audio from it into every channel. I.e, I have a single clip of the video in Video 1 but audio in Video 1,2,3, and 4 as well as in music and voice - six channels in total. It does this for every clip. 

I have reinstalled the program, reimported the raw video, changed project setting from 5.1 to stereo and back again - all to no effect. 

There also appears to be a duplication in the Audio 1 channel!

Can anyone tell me what the issue is and more importantly, how I can stop this happening? No idea.

Thanks.  

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking that because you got the same rsults as I had, then I could take my PC and Premiere Elements install out of the equation and blame it on my video files. But this doesn't explain why video I shot a couple of years ago and which I have edited in PE without issue now does the same thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and I'm out of ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. This thread has gone very quiet, Community Professionals are no longer taking part and no-one seems to be able to find a solution. And because my version is now two years old, I'm not able to get  any assitance from Adobe support.  As an update, I decided to download the PR 21 trial to see if that resolved my issue. It didn't. I get the same problem on both Premiere Elements 2019 and Premiere Elements 2021. No point paying for an upgrade to PE 21 if that is going to happen. In the meantime, until someone can find a solution for this (I've banged my head against a wall too much over it) I've downloaded Davinci Resolve which, happily, is working just fine. 

However, if someone out there can help, please let me know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this occurs on multiple versions of Elements guessing this is a windows issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann

Thanks for getting back. 

If its a Window's issue, it's fairly recent. The last time I did some editing, a few months ago, everything worked fine. Since then, I have done a Windows 10 reset. However, it could also be related to a Windows 10 update of which there have been quite a few, including the May 2021 feature update. If it is one of these, then I am sure there would be more people in the same boat as me? It would be helpful to know which update is causing the issue so I can delete the one that's causing the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem. amazing/ they just doesnt care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I have the same problem, and I don't know what to do. I'll follow the conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann suggests that it might be a Windows issue.  From the internet:  "  The MTS file extension is Advanced Audio Coding File and is related to the AVCHD video file format, which was developed by Sony and Panasonic Corporation in 2006. AVCHD is short for Advanced Video Coding High Definition. The video coding allows users to record and playback videos in high definition.  The audio in the MTS file can be compressed using the Dolby AC-3 codec, or it can be saved as uncompressed linear PCM audio. Supported audio tracks include stereo (2-channel) and 5.1 (5-channel + subwoofer) surround sound. Besides, MTS files can be saved anywhere on the PC."

As a user, I don't have any inside knowledge of Adobe's work.   There are reports that there was legal issues between Dolby and Adobe.  One result seems to be that all Dolby support (codecs?) are borrowed from Windows and are not part of any Adobe software.   

My guessed at conclusion is that somehow something changed with the Windows Dolby AC-3 codec system and that is causing the issue.  It may be that the only user remedy is conversion with something like Handbrake.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems very strange. If I can't get a simple answer, the only solution is
to forget

Adobe Premier Elements and buy another software i.e Corel and

Pinnacle. They work. I have been happy using Premier Elements for many
years,

but maybe is over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean: simple answer.

This is an user to user forum.  We are not Adobe employees or engineers.

If you have an issue you cannot resolve, contact support over Chat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to convert the files from MTS to mpeg4, and then it works on PE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just seen the same thing happen with Elements 2021, this isn't a solution as such, hope it helps someone who understands Windows system better.

Having two installations of Windows 10, have found that with Windows 10 Build 18363 (Audio Codecs dated 19Mar19, from System Imformation), MTS files with 5.1 audio are imported into Elements on a single audio 5.1 track. 

While on Windows 10 Build 19043 (Audio Codecs dated 07Dec19), MTS files the audio is imported across multiple audio tracks.

Opening the Elements project file saved  on Windows Build 18363 across on Windows Build 19043 all appears good with 5.1 audio represented and played ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem with Elements 2020 and agree with Nikk1's conclusions. However although the workarounds solve the problem they are a pain and Adobe should provide a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I am an Adobe Premiere user for 20 years (Since 5.1). Will now have to change to Blackmagic Design Resolve for editing because Adobe can not fix this simple bug within 2 years. I would have preferred to stick with Premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I am an Adobe Premiere user for 20 years (Since 5.1). Will now have to change to Blackmagic Design Resolve for editing because Adobe can not fix this simple bug within 2 years. I would have preferred to stick with Premiere. 

By @christinef24195606

You are posting in the Elements forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the exact same problem. I am writing from Italy and I have been using Elements for 2 years. Is it possible that you can't solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated earlier, this is a user to user forum.  As users, we can't solve engineering issues.  I'm sorry.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to accidently record my video clips from last Summer's vacation in 5.1 audio.

I converted the clips to stereo via the Handbrake tool & PE2021 was happy with those converted clips.

For next trip the Camcorder setting has been changed back to stereo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to accidently record my video clips from last Summer's vacation in 5.1 audio.

I converted the clips to stereo via the Handbrake tool & PE2021 was happy with those converted clips.

For next trip the Camcorder setting has been changed back to stereo...

By @HOTELECHOMIKE

I think you have the right approach.  5.1 audio is fading into video history.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. When I import video/audio clips in Premiere Elements 2022 I have a single clip of the video in Video 1 but audio in Video 1,2,3, and 4 as well as in music and voice - six channels in total ...

I'am using windows 11. I'm recording in 5.1ch surround

Is there a solution for this issue in the meantime ?

Thanks in advance

Raoul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it were me, I would convert the 5.1 clips to stereo using the (free) program Handbrake.  This has already been suggested and reported as working well.  Steve Grisetti has provided a good tutorial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill for the work around solution. But why can't Adobe provide a
decent solution for this issue? Recording in 5.1 audio is quite common I
thought. Or more recent cameras are using another audio format ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill for the work around solution. But why can't Adobe provide adecent solution for this issue? Recording in 5.1 audio is quite common Ithought. Or more recent cameras are using another audio format ?
By @Raoul25644528g3id

That is a very good question. Adobe seems to be in no hurry to fix this issue.

But best is to set your camera to pcm for future projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't work for Adobe, am only a customer and can only guess.  My guess is based on public news documents from a couple years ago.  It seems that Dolby, the creater of 5.1 and other audio codecs, got into a dispute with Adobe.  The end result seems to be that Adobe and Dolby stopped working together.   Unfortunately, 5.1 Doby audio has become a thing of the past.  I've not seen a camera with it for nearly a decade.  That means there is no current pressure for Adobe to put 5.1 audio back into the system.  (I still have a nice 12 year old Panasonic camcorder but don't ever use it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with Dolby, but rather Elements not recognizing 5.1 properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines