• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add media failure - Error: codec missing or unavailable

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Elements 8.1 and I am adding multiple small videos to make one large one.  Unfortunately, the small videos are in different formats.  Some of them are .mov.  Interestingly, some of the .mov videos load with no difficulty.  However, some of them don't load and I get the error: codec missing or unavailable. 

I am using Windows 10 pro, 16 GB RAM, Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4GHz

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

This MOV file uses the HEVC codec, an advanced H.265 codec that is not currently supported by any version of Premiere Elements.

It is way out of version 8's league -- and unfortunately will also not play well with even current versions of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 8 is very limited in the types of video formats it can edit well. In fact, it was pretty much limited to tape-based video. Anything else it edited it didn't edit well.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Version 8 really isn't going to know what to do with AVCHD and MP4 video or video from phones.

As for MOVs, they can be made up of any of dozens of codecs, so it depends on which codecs these MOVs are using. DV-MOVs it can handle. H.264-MOVs not likely.

BTW, do you have Quicktime 7 installed per the program's system requirements?

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have QuickTime 7.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the formatting info of the .movs

and the others. This is a compilation of all the videos taken of my

granddaughter from birth until now (she is almost 2 years old.) Some of

the videos are probably from cell phones. I don't have any problems with

.mp4s. If I go online and change the .movs into .mp4s using Zamzar.com, I

don't have any problems. I just thought it might be nice if I didn't have

to change the formats.

Thanks

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 7:40 PM Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It very much sounds like you're using video beyond what this version of the program is capable.

If you'd like to explore this further, open one of your MOVs in the free download MediaInfo. Set MediaInfo's View menu to Text and then copy and paste the report it generates tot his forum.

As I've said, MOVs are packages rather than formats. These packages can be made up of any of dozens of codecs, resolutions and frame rates. After we see what these elements are, we can better advise you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Here are screen shots of the MediaInfo results for one of the .movs that I was unable to add to PE8.1:2S MOV 1.jpg2S MOV 2.jpg

2S MOV 3.jpg

2S MOV 4.jpg

I don't know what any of this means.  I hope it means something to you.  If the .mov is the mongrel that you describe, it may be that I won't be able to add some of them directly to PE8.1. 

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This MOV file uses the HEVC codec, an advanced H.265 codec that is not currently supported by any version of Premiere Elements.

It is way out of version 8's league -- and unfortunately will also not play well with even current versions of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the best work around was to open the .mov file in Quicktime and then use the "Export as" feature under the "File" menu.  I used the "export 1080p..." option with the "Use HEVC" is not checked.  The new file could then be imported without errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2019 that was released a few days ago.  It is supposed to "support variable frame rate (VFR) plus import and editing of HEIF images on macOS and HEVC video on macOS 10.13 and above."

No cost trials are available.  If you have a Mac and it helps your workflow consider trying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it is only for MAC?

Because does not work for Windows 10...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sfilin2019  wrote

So it is only for MAC?

Because does not work for Windows 10...

That is correct.  The HEVC/H.265 codec is provided in the Mac iOS where Premiere Elements "borrows" it.  Windows does not include support for HEVC/H.265. 

Phones and cameras that offer the HEVC/H.265 option normally provide other choices of equal quality using the more common H.264.

If you have to edit H.265/HEVC on a Windows computer, you can convert it to H.264 with Handbrake.  There will not be a noticeable loss of quality.  If that is not acceptable, a leading Premiere Elements competitor, Cyberlink Powerdirector, advertises HEVC/H.265 support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the answer. This way really works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi whsprague,

I took your advice and downloaded Handbrake.  I have 4 very small .mov videos that I changed to .mp4 using Handbrake.  When they were .mov files, they would not upload to my project.  As .mp4 files, they uploaded with no difficulty.  However, when I tried to drag them to the workspace, they wouldn't drag.  Is there an alternate way to add a clip to the workspace other than dragging them?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first version I had was 9.  I'm guessing at how 8 might work.  But, try right clicking a clip in the media panel and selecting insert in timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there must be things in 9 that aren't in 8.1. 

However, I was able to make everything work.  I changed the .mov files using VLC media player.   There is a convert / save option that brings up a window and you choose the format you want to change to and - don't ask me why it worked! - I chose .avi.  Then when I clicked browse for location to put the new file, I named it as a .mp4!   I know, crazy, but it worked beautifully.  As the sound was really quiet, since the videos were made with a cell phone, I converted the original files to audio .mp3 files and used Audacity to make them louder.  After adding the videos to the project, I deleted the attached audios and replaced them with the .mp3 files that were significantly louder.  Final touch, added music.

Project completed and a happy new bride now has a video slide show with photos mixed with short videos of her wedding.  Thank you, everyone, for helping make this happen.

Now I have to go back and finish the original project that started this whole thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

lithia,

Happy to hear you got it all to work even if the methods were unorthodox!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines