• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Crashes When Doing Pretty Much Anything.

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this is in the right place.

So, premiere worked perfectly (well, not perfectly, but good enough) on my old computer, and did what I needed it to do.

It did this despite an old GPU, less powerful CPU, and low hard drive space on all drives.

Now though, upon upgrading to a new computer, it worked just fine for the first month or so. Though now all the sudden it wants to keep crashing all the time. I would think upgrading to a new computer would make it run better but apparently not. I can't even use premiere long enough to edit a single clip, let alone a video.

Program: Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Version: Not sure, but absolute latest version - Just reinstalled again today for the second time. 2017-12-13.

Problem:

Original Install:

After the first month, the program would crash at random intervals while editing, especially when trying to use tools such as pan and zoom.

Then could not open a project at all until I restarted the program, though could import video for the most part fine. After restarting the computer I could use the program fine for a few minutes til it crashed again, and then crashes became way more frequent, and the program unusable.

To fix these problems, I decided to reinstall. Now I got new problems!

After Reinstall so far:
Premiere crashes when I switch to Expert Mode, when I attempt to import a .f4v file, when I try to use pan and zoom / other tools / random times, and sometimes upon importing avi's.

Simply clickling the expert button freezes and crashes the program.

So, it pretty crashes all the time.

I got 50 GB Free Hard drive space on the drive to which it's installed (C) and 1 TB drive space on the other.

I am using Windows 10

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.125

64 bit OS.

16 GB RAM.

and I got a decent CPU, and far above average GPU.

I don't notice any real spikes or max-outs of either upon when the program crashes.

On top of all this, when I actually work past the errors, when I try exporting AVI video (so it's actually a format that can be uploaded) the quality comes out awful.

So, yeah, I'm feeling pretty frustrated with this program and don't know what to try.

Hope someone can help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try updating or rolling back your video driver directly from the card manufacturer's site.

adobepremiereuser11  wrote

I got 50 GB Free Hard drive space on the drive to which it's installed (C) and 1 TB drive space on the other.

That 50 GB may not be enough.

What kind of drive and what size is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look into the video driver.

Honestly I don't know what kind of drive it is.

First though, I'll try installing it to my D: drive instead and see if that makes a difference.

My C drive is 236 GB
Though I know I had only like 25 GB free on the drive on my old computer, but I dunno.

Thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the drive might have fixed it as it seems to run a lot faster now, and hasn't crashed yet. Will work with it some more and see if that is indeed the case, but for now, all is good.

Will report back once I've tested a while.

Edit: All seems well now, cause if anything was wrong it probably would have crashed by now with what I've done. Thanks again!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems I was wrong, worked well for a while, but as soon as I went to import my intro .f4v, it crashed, and now crashes trying to go to expert mode...
So, will look into the drivers but I'm not sure I want to downgrade my GPU's drivers/performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because newer drivers are not necessarily more stable drivers.

Newer software typically needs to work through some real world bugs and incompatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got NVIDIA driver version 23.21.13.8813, I pressed roll back, and nothing seems to have happened, the driver version stayed the same.

I also just got the trial version of adobe premiere 2018, just to see if it would work. Then I imported a video clip, and the first thing that happened, it crashes. I imported a 30 second 1080p avi video, and the program immediately went into a seizure and died.

Not trying to sound rude, I'm just fed up as I've been experiencing this same problem for a week now.

Just out of curiosity if it was a driver problem, would it work for a while after restarting the computer, then ultimately quit working?

Cause it seems odd to me how it works for a while, then just stops.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobePremiereUser11  wrote

I got NVIDIA driver version 23.21.13.8813, I pressed roll back, and nothing seems to have happened, the driver version stayed the same.

You need to manually download the driver from NVIDIA and install it.  The roll back or update function in Windows rarely works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If neither version of the program can run, then it indicates a problem with your system -- very likely related to your graphics driver.

On the other hand, if you're editing a 1080p AVI, you're working with a pretty non-standard video format, and that could definitely be causing the crash. Particularly if this AVI is using a Divx or Xvid or other non-editable codec. Was this video from a camcorder? What is the source of the video?

Open one of your AVIs in the free download MediaInfo. Set MediaInfo's View menu to Text and then copy and paste the report it generates to this forum. Once we see what codec and compression system is being used, we'll better be able to offer direction for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for your reply.

I assume it could be the driver but I tried to roll it back but the version number stayed the same.

The video was taken as a screen capture on my computer (area recording mode) with Mirilis Action Recording Software.

Here is the report.

General

Complete name                            : C:\Action!\Video\FS17 2017-12-14 12-54-42 PM.avi

Format                                   : AVI

Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave

Format profile                           : OpenDML

File size                                : 1.03 GiB

Duration                                 : 26 s 900 ms

Overall bit rate                         : 328 Mb/s

Video

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : FICV

Codec ID                                 : FICV

Duration                                 : 26 s 900 ms

Bit rate                                 : 326 Mb/s

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate                               : 60.000 FPS

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.623

Stream size                              : 1.02 GiB (99%)

Audio

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : PCM

Format settings                          : Little / Signed

Codec ID                                 : 1

Duration                                 : 26 s 890 ms

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Stream size                              : 4.92 MiB (0%)

Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves

Interleave, duration                     : 10  ms (0.60 video frame)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed to change the driver. It's now 21.21.13.7653, still doesn't work though.

Crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now got driver version 23.21.13.8831 which is supposedly a driver from Wed Nov 15 2017, far before I had any problems.

NVIDIA

2017-11-14

Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

The program still crashes upon importing content and especially clicking the expert button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I decided to try and contact adobe through the support chat, and somehow, when I got to the point where they do remote control of the desktop to try and find the problem... I went to try and show them the problem (with 2018) and the problem was gone. No crashing at all, in either adobe premiere 11, or 2018. Don't know why, or how. Only thing that changed was I moved some icons on my desktop to a new folder.

Other than that, drivers are the same, GPU's the same, CPU, everything.

Same RAM, drive space...

I know it makes no sense at all, but that's what fixed it. Seemingly nothing.

Now I'm just gonna hope it sticks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what the FICV codec is that your video is using, but I'm sure that's the reason your video is crashing the program.

This is typical is screen capture software.

One solution you can try is to convert the video to an MP4 using the free download Handbrake. Try it with on video and add the MP4 to a new project and your issue will likely go away. Here are instructions for using Handbrake.

Handbrake - YouTube

This problem is not unique to Premiere Elements, by the way. It's kind of the nature of working with these oddball codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

Oddly enough, the problem is gone after working with support, and nothing has changed.
Same video. Same format. Same codec. Same everything. And it's adding the video fine, and editing fine.

So, for now, all is well, no crashing to be seen.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news! Please mark this question as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have marked it as assumed answered, though I guess it's probably solved by now cause I've been using it quite a bit with not issues.

Not exactly sure how to get it marked answered. So I will leave it at that.

Thank you all for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marking assumed answered is OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome. Thank ya'll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines