• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice Please: Configuring new PC with AMD Ryzen CPU for PE 2021

Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This request for advice is primarily aimed at Steve & colleagues plus any Adobe folks who look in here.

My current PC:

Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4400 & Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Sp1

I edit HD videos & my current CPU only gives a benchmark value of 3,267 ("High-Mid Range") BUT I do use a SSD for both C: & D drives (adding the latter made a big difference).  I use PE 14.1

Givens for the new PC: 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB for OS & users files, WIN10.  Two monitors will be attached.  4k work not excluded in the future.  I'd invest in PE 2021 even though I am happy with PE 14.1 (unfortunately I don't have the installation file although I do have the Serial number).

My question concerns the CPU:  We are considering:

1) AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 4C/8T, 3.70-4.20GHz.  Benchmark value 9,415

2) AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6C/12T, 3.60-4.20GHz.  Benchmark value 17,857

Option (2) is slightly more expensive - also I'd need an additional graphics card - option (1) has that onboard.  Clearly option (2) has the better benchmark value due to the number of cores/threads even though the single thread performance is slightly lower. 

THE QUESTION: does PE 2021 use these additional threads (presumably when rendering) - if it does that great; if not then the extra cost would be rather wasted.

All advice gratefully received.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all honesty I would go for intel and nvidia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you plan to edit 4K, I'd invest in the Ryzen 5 3600. With Premiere Elements, it really is all about the processor. Though Ann's suggestion might also be considered. In my experience too Intel processors just seem to jibe better with this program.

The 2021 version of Premiere Elements can use certain graphics cards to make the timeline more functional, but GPUs still don't contribute a whole lot to the program's performance. Put most of your budget into a good processor and RAM load.

But if you'd like to take advantage of the new timeline tune-ups, you'll want to use one of the graphics cards listed on the support list.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/supported-devices-premiere-elements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve - I should have said that its my intention to have TWO monitors attached to the new PC (as I do now).

Option (1) with the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G has on-board graphics & can have two monitors attached.

Option (2) with the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 does not - hence the graphic card would primarily be in order to attach both monitors.

Not having a Nvidea card would avoid the green-line syndrome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The green line syndrome is Intel gpu which I dont have, so never seen green lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the various threads on this forum I had understood that the Green-Line Syndrom was with NVIDEA graphic cards (hence the hunt for suitable driver version to fix it).

My current (to-be-replaced) PC does have (simple) onboard Intel graphics Without the symdrom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've said a couple of times, the green line syndrome has not been a problem for me since I've started keeping my graphics card's driver updated via the nVidia GeForce Experience program, downloadable from the nVidia site.

nVidia releases new updates at least once a month. (Af of today's date, the latest drivers are dated October 7, 2020.) And if you keep it as well as your other hardware drivers updated, you should have no problems -- whatever brand of GPU you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to close this up: I decided to go for the cheaper option i.e. AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with 4 cores & 8 threads together with a 1 TB SSD.

Reasoning: I currently only have HD equipment (Panasonic V727 Camcorder, HD television etc.) & if/when I move to 4k I'll need to invest in a whole set of equipment so that by that time PCUs etc will probably have advanced even further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I can add much.  I live in small spaces and use a laptop for everything.  A fixed desk system is out of the question.  

I've had two with Intel i7 CPUs and NVIDA graphics.   Both had SSDs and an HD.  The second laptop was necessary because I broke the first one.  The second laptop came from Costco because it was on sale for $1100.  It is a Lenevo Legion Y545.  I've never encountered the green line syndrome or any other issue.   In addition to running Premiere Elements, it runs Premiere Pro, Media Encoder, Audition, AfterEffects, Photoshop and both Lightrooms.   I don't use the 'pro' video kit much but am having fun learning it.  

Mike,  I'm not reccomending or endorsing anything but, I thought it might be worthwhile to post a specific experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Vidia is aming for video as amd is more for gaming, so I have been told.

1 tb drive for OS is overdone, choose a much smaller drive just os and programs and keep the rest on a dedicated drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines