Highlighted

Alternative to buggy Premiere Elements?

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time user of Photoshop Elements and have been reasonably happy with it.

Recently, I decided that I wanted to produce videos for family consumption.  I purchased Premiere Elements.

The number of times that Premiere Elements has crashed is really frustrating.  It's happened during multiple different operations. I question how much QA was done on this product and it was released months ago -- so I would expect many of those bugs to be fixed.

What would be a good alternative to Premier Elements?  I'm still looking for a relatively simple video editing/production solution and it's not clear to me which of the Adobe products should be considered.  Maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

Thanks

TOPICS
Crash, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Alternative to buggy Premiere Elements?

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time user of Photoshop Elements and have been reasonably happy with it.

Recently, I decided that I wanted to produce videos for family consumption.  I purchased Premiere Elements.

The number of times that Premiere Elements has crashed is really frustrating.  It's happened during multiple different operations. I question how much QA was done on this product and it was released months ago -- so I would expect many of those bugs to be fixed.

What would be a good alternative to Premier Elements?  I'm still looking for a relatively simple video editing/production solution and it's not clear to me which of the Adobe products should be considered.  Maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

Thanks

TOPICS
Crash, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say what hardware or even operating system you're using, what model of camcorder or phone your video will be coming from and how much you're willing to spend, but all of those are factors. Also how deep you wan to get into video editing and what you plan to do with it when you're done. That's why there are so many alternatives: There are so many variables, and one size most definitely does not fit all. And a product that is not a fit for you may well be a perfect fit for me.

That said, at the Premiere Elements level you should check out CyberLink PowerDirector, Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and Pinnacle Studio. If you want more professional features  the Premiere Pro CC package is the industry standard. And if you want a free program that might well do everything you need, you should definitely check out DaVinci Resolve.

As I said, there's no one size fits all solution. It's like shopping for a car. Only you can decide what fits your needs. So plan to do lots of test driving.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I appreciate your detailed response.  I'm on high-end PC with Windows 10.  Video will be mostly coming from mine and other family members iPhones.  I would spend up to $300 on this but am still looking for something simple -- I know that many are moving to subscription model so that might work better for me.  Not looking for pro features.

I'll check out the alternatives that you mentioned.  I wasn't sure if there were other Adobe products that I should be looking at (apart from the more "pro" Premiere Pro CC).

I would stay with Premiere Elements if it was more stable. As a software architect, I can't tolerate software with those issues.

Thanks . . . . Brian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would stay with Premiere Elements if it was more stable. As a software architect..."

I'm only a 10 year user.  Started with version 9.   I use off the shelf consumer cameras and have never had any "bugs" cause me trouble.   Apple, in their need to push, can get ahead of "conventional".   Phones using variable frame rates and H.264 are examples.  I don't have an iPhone, but if you set it to "most compatable" choices, you may not have any trouble with Premiere Elements.

Good luck!  Steve list of choices is good.   But, it may be that Apple wants you to buy in to nothing besides Final Cut Pro on an Apple computer. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 1
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a 16 year user of the program. I've edited with every version of Premiere Elements Adobe has ever released. And with rare exceptions (Version 8.0 was kind of messy, necessistating Adobe to quickly release a patch) I've never experienced bugginess.

But as we always say, your mileage may vary. That's why there are alternatives out there.

(By the way, you may notice that I did NOT recommend Adobe's Premiere Rush as an alternative worth looking into.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project that I was working on, when I experienced crashes (in different places), was combining 50 videos that I'd received into one "birthday greeting".  Looking at your post and others that I have seen, maybe it was something to do with all the different frame rates.  Those videos were probably created on a wide variety of devices.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"notice that I did NOT recommend Adobe's Premiere Rush"

I've tried it.   The workflow concept is to start with shooting and editing on your phone.  Quickly get it to YouTube and then polish it on your computer.   In may case, it doesn't work because the live connection between phone and computer is way to slow.   When I asked an "expert" the answer was that it is aimed at very short videos.   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Those videos were probably created on a wide variety of devices."

That makes sense.  It may also be that a single clip or even a few clips have flaws.  Too many different frame rates, codecs, formats, etc. could make any software choke!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had nothing but problems with premier elements 2018, Adobe no longer supports it after only 2 years, so their support told me to kick rocks. I'm just out $75, and now looking for a better alternative. I can't image it will be too hard.

Windows 10 Pro, i7-8700k, RTX2080ti, 32gb ram, 256ssd, Windows is up to date, and I have tried 4 sets of nvidia drivers, reinstalled the program, and elements crashes every single time. 4k video came from a gopro hero 7 black.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my original response to the original poster above. There are lots of alternatives out there, but only you will know what works for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0