• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another question about adding stills

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got Premiere Elements 19 along with Photoshop Elements. Years ago, worked with Premier Pro, but when Windows switched over to 10, I didn’t update it.

I’d forgotten how still photos had to be resized. I’m working on a project with photos and some video coming in from a Samsung S9+. After the first disastrous attempt, I went back and searched through the forum and FAQs, focusing on adding still photos.

I’ve tried Process Multiple Photos to 2000, 1090, 720 pixel size. Tried different saves as .JPG and .PSD. Tried different resolutions. I’ve tried changing the Preferences, Default to frame size and the Use Hardware Acceleration. The Project Settings are 1920 x 1080. Tried changing the Interpret Footage settings. I render each time I add the stills.

The photos look fine in Photoshop, but with all the different attempts, when I add them to video, they are terrible. On the small viewing screen, they look okay. But if I go to full screen, they appear jagged and almost out of focus. Did a test burn to a DVD and the same thing on the TV, terrible quality. Basically, they look like garbage, my technical term for it.

I think I am missing something here, perhaps a post I didn’t read. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

LVMike  wrote

You're correct, not a lot of options in Photoshop Elements.

I have the resize set to 1920 pixels (I've tried all the other recommended pixel settings), constrain proportions. Resolution is at 150 dpi. Convert files to .PSD

I've also tried going through and testing all the presets when you start a new project to see if those would make a difference.

Also checked how the Samsung S9+ saves videos. Appears the standard setting is 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps. And surprise,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What pixel size is the photo, video, and export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original stills are at 4032 x 1960 pixels and are .JPG. I've tried converting from Photoshop Elements 19 and bringing them in at the recommended sizes I've seen listed. The videos I've brought in seem okay at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is that stills do not have to be resized for Premiere Elements.  The only exception to that might be if your computer is too weak for the processing.

When you add anything to a project you are looking at real time previews.  Full screen pixel peeping might show fuzziness that won't be there for the final render. The final result at output may/should be much better. 

If you are burning DVDs, you are reducing resolution to old tube TV standards.  Everything looks terrible on DVDs.  You need to make MP4s using the H.264 codec to match the screen you'll be viewing on. 

If you would like to share a photo file via DropBox or similar, I'll try it on my machine and return the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The computer is about 5-6 years old. Acer desktop. Intel Core i7-3770, CPU @ 3.40 Hz, 3.40 GHz. Memory is 12.0 GB, Windows 10 64-bit operating system. Display Adapter. NVIDIA GeForce GT 630.

Years ago, when I was running a top of line, for its day, Sony, and Premiere Pro, didn't have this problem with stills. Could look at rendered timeline and it looked great.

I appreciate the offer for the file sharing as well as the MP4 info and codec. Something I may try later.

What I suspect is there is just some odd setting that I haven't changed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LVMike  wrote

What I suspect is there is just some odd setting that I haven't changed yet.

There aren't that many settings.  When you're ready I'll post screenshots of how mine is set up.  My suspicion is that you are over processing the originals before import to Premiere Elements.  My other though is that the project is set up for something unusual because you are starting with phone video and then adding photos.  That might cause the previews to behave oddly while output transcoding may be fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the resize set to 1920 pixels (I've tried all the other recommended pixel settings), constrain proportions. Resolution is at 150 dpi. Convert files to .PSD

I've also tried going through and testing all the presets when you start a new project to see if those would make a difference.

Also checked how the Samsung S9+ saves videos. Appears the standard setting is 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps. And surprise, adding a video and it too looks crappy.

I do appreciate the help and screenshots are appreciated. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LVMike  wrote

Also checked how the Samsung S9+ saves videos. Appears the standard setting is 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps. And surprise, adding a video and it too looks crappy.

I do appreciate the help and screenshots are appreciated. Thanks!

You appear to be doing way too much!

Take a fresh clip from you Samsung S9+.  Open a fresh project, add the clip and put it on the timeline.  Let it make the project settings.  Now add one photo without any editing, resizing, etc.  Output a video.  What's it look like?

My Preferences page: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tenacious!

I don't have access to the Samsung at this moment, but I did try some videos and stills from my Motorola Z Force. Similar results.

Following your instructions, and with nothing to lose, added some videos and stills from the original project, untouched or processed. Initially in the timeline, still looked like garbage.

Did do the export, using the computer setting to test it. Low and behold, the darned thing is watchable. Now I'm re-exporting my original project to TV, 1080 and will see how that looks. Just need to dig up a flash drive and hope my TV will play the flash drive.

This is reminding me of when I got my car, three years ago. Wanted to test the sound system, so pulled my MP3 CD out of my other car. The salesman laughed at me, and asked I planned to do. The new car didn't have a CD player. Use a flash drive or my phone via cable or Bluetooth.

Any thoughts on why the DVD looked so bad when I burned it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had that pesky business called work this week. Also had to get a large enough flash drive. The video looked great on the TV! Many thanks for the help with this. Lots of new things to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got something to work that you liked.

The probable reason the DVD didn't look good is because DVDs are of a low resolution left over from when we all had tube TVs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines