Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AVI File Import Failure

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to work with an older project from 3 years ago, but when I try to start Adobe Premiere Elements - I get the Message "File Import Error" followed by the file name in my project "DSCN0015.AVI" and then the Error Message:  This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed. 

Since I made the project 3 years ago - changes - I now have a new ASUS laptop and I am now on Windows 10.  If I go to the file on the computer outside of Elements - and double click on it,  it opens and plays without a problem on the default player on my laptop - which is "Movies and TV".  If I open the file with Windows Media Player - it opens and plays with no issues as well.  The file is 94,478 KB.  

I also have 5 other AVI files in the project - all giving the same import error.  Each file is over 100,000 KB and one is 1,900,000 KB.  Each one will open and play with no problem using Windows Media Player - but none of these larger ones will open with "Movies and TV".  It simply stops with the message - "Can't play.  The file isn't playable.  That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt.   0x00d36c4

I could care less if it plays on Movies and TV - as it plays on Windows Media Player - but I really want to figure out how to import it into Elements.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks is advance

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVIs can be made up of any of thousands of possible codecs, not all of which are editable.

Is this video from a miniDV camcorder, captured over a FireWire connection?

Download the free program MediaInfo and open one of your AVIs in it. Set the View menu to Tree and then copy the data it reports and paste it to this forum. That should tell us what we need to know in order to advise you how to proceed.

It's also important to know which version of the program you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.  The video was taken with a point and shoot Nikon coolpix camera almost 3 years ago.

Here is a screenshot of the two files - the larger one on the left is the one that gives the error and the smaller one on the right opens without issue. 

Capture.JPG

I really appreciate your help.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help. 

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0

Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393  x64-based PC with 8.00 GB Installed Physical Memory

Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many older still cameras, your camera uses the MJPEG codec to create your AVIs. And it can be problematic to edit , particularly for older versions (pre-version 12) of Premiere Elements.

You may be able to make this video editable by converting it with Handbrake (a free download) to an MP4. Premiere Elements should be able to edit an MP4 if you've got your project set up properly (post-version 10 versions of Premiere Elements set up your projects AUTOMATICALLY to match your videos).

Though you may want to download the free trial of Premiere Elements 15 and give it a test drive. Most likely it will be able to edit this video with no modifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google for the Morgan mjpeg codec.

Install that and you will  probably be able to edit the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just this codec, not a whole codec pack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time addressing this issue.  I searched and found the codec and downloaded it - it downloaded as m3jpegV3.99.115.x64 and says it is an application.  Do I put it in any particular folder or any particular path and just double click to run it?

Sorry for my ignorance on how this works.

Thanks again in advance

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You double click on the exe file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Format Factory free software to convert AVI-formatted video on a flashdrive to WMV format. Premiere Elements 10 accepted the WMV instantly. Original format was Super 8 movie film I shot decades ago that was converted to MOV format by Just 8mm company in Texas (which I would recommend). Premiere wouldn't accept the MOV or the AVI format but did accept WMV at recommendation of Just 8mm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines