Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best project backup

Explorer ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure there is an easy way.

My project is developing well however I am suffering from increased anxiety and need to be able to copy and paste the whole project to and from C: disc to another external disc G: and perhap another.

I have learned to create a base folder for my project which contains everything relating to my project and this has worked well.

I have tried saving a copy using the Project Archiver, CopyProject but the final outcome in the copy is highly processed data which I don't understand and have a feeling that editing might lead me into an area which is not helpful.

I just need to be able to do a backup on G: of my project as it exists on C: to which I can resort if I have hard drive failure.

I realise I will not be using my very recent version but backing up at the end of a day would be good.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Project Archiver will not produce "highly processed data". It will do exactly what you want to do: Move a copy of your project and all of its accompanying media files to another location (in your case, another drive).

You will then be able to resume your editing in this new location -- and even delete your original project and its media files from your C drive if you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve,

I have create a backup using the options available i.e. Archive - Copy and succeeded. However the performance  of this version is jerky and slow.

I am now re-linking the assets with the edited project but does not know where the assets are until I re-link them by hand.

My method is to click on the position of the empty space and requires me to find the asset on my scratch disc and select it.

I can only do this process one asset at a time.

I ought to clarify that my original project is situated on an external drive and my backup is on the C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will try again Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Project Archiver should move your project files and your media files to a new location. But you should NOT need to re-link them after. The Archiver keeps the whole bundle of files together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dongle99  wrote

Sure there is an easy way.

My project is developing well however I am suffering from increased anxiety and need to be able to copy and paste the whole project to and from C: disc to another external disc G: and perhap another.

I have learned to create a base folder for my project which contains everything relating to my project and this has worked well.

I have tried saving a copy using the Project Archiver, CopyProject but the final outcome in the copy is highly processed data which I don't understand and have a feeling that editing might lead me into an area which is not helpful.

I just need to be able to do a backup on G: of my project as it exists on C: to which I can resort if I have hard drive failure.

I realise I will not be using my very recent version but backing up at the end of a day would be good.

I do what I think you are doing.  I started doing it because my C: drive is a fast SSD, but limited in space. 

For a project I create a dedicated folder.  In that folder will be ALL the source files, the project itself, the output files and I set the Scratch Disks to "Same as Project".  

I use the the Windows File Explorer to move or copy the folder, with everything in it, to other drives for storage.  When it is on another drive, I can't open the project without confusion because the links in the project expect it to be on the C: drive.  So, to open a project, I move the entire folder back to the C: drive.   As long as the entire folder returns to the C: drive, everything works. 

Changing folder names, or anything else, will cause failure.   To work on the project it has to be returned to where it was started.   The procedure is not documented or recommended by Adobe.   But for me it works so that I can take advantage of the speed of the SSD C: drive on my computer.  

For further backup, I use synchronization software to keep complete copies of EVERYTHING on my computer on two different external drives that are stored in separate places. 

I have one of Steve's books and the Adobe provided instruction file.  One day I will read the sections on backup procedures and try them! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank  you whsprague you describe my problem exactly. I have had to  start from scratch. I am not sure what I do next time as I am not confident of the Archive - Copy method. I suspect that a faster computer might be a good idea;

I will try it with a much smaller project and see what happens and post it, On the forum.

Thank you and Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines