• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't add media

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to add media just fine from a Sony cameraor from my hard drive.  Now when I try to, and select a video to add, error message:  File already exists.  Well, I know the file exists on my camera and hard drive, but I want to ADD it to the Premiere Elements Time Line for video editting.  But can't.  Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me again.  The files I'm trying to add to my timeline are *.MTS.  when I convert them to  *.WMV I can add them to my timeline, but the audio track is lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your operating system version and what is your Premiere Elements version?  

The Sony files can use an audio codec called AC-3.  It got tangled up in a codec licensing issue.  If you have a newer version of Premiere Elements and an older version of Windows, you may have to make some changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why thank you, kindly, WHS!  I'm running Windows 10 Pro and a slightly old (14) version of Premiere Elements.  Is this Adobe's trick to get me to buy P.E. 15?  16?

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Premiere Elements Video Importer to get the video from your camcorder? If so, set it to create custom file names when you do.

If not, that could be the problem. Your camcorder keeps giving new files the same names and, when you add them to your project, it's confusing the program.

Part 2 of my free 8 part Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorial series shows you how to use the Video Importer so this won't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7NCbZUsLqw&t=1s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Steve,

WOW!  You're doing a great service for folks in the dark about the way to access powerful features of Premiere Elements.  My initial problem, could not Add Media, was solved by just watching a few minutes of Part 2.  All I had to do was open a New Project first.  I would have watched your entire series but it was getting late and I have to get up early to  be off to my classroom, getting ready for another week.  I'm wondering if there is a section you can recommend that will teach me how to get the sound to play on a video that I've added to a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Steve,

Good news/bad news.  As you can see in the 40 second video below,  when I uploaded the video to Youtube, the sound was there!  The bad news:  though I could see the sound track on PE 14, but could not hear it.

Any thoughts?

Bruce Ratcliffe, and his Physics students, Edison High, Fresno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve.  You provide a great service to all us users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is this Adobe's trick to get me to buy P.E. 15?  16?" 

No.  Adobe does continue to evolve the program.  For example, the newer versions work better with iPhones, DJI drones and GoPro action cameras.  But, Adobe does not make older versions stop working!.   For the record, it is up to the 18th version and it is called "2020".

It appears Steve may have the answer that there is a file naming issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIE!  18th version?  Man, am I behind the times.  Steve DID have good advice on one of my problems.  I simpley had to open a  new project first.  Now it's working fine.  Well, almost--no volume, though when I play the clip while in File Explorer, volume is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Well, almost--no volume"

Take a look at Edit > Preferences and try changing the audio settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Edit > Preferences  It looked promising at first, but I couldn't find anywhere that toggled audio from OFf to ON.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Assuming your on a Windows computer, look under Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware to find your audio settings.

On a Mac, the program's preferences are on the left-side drop-down, but the settings are still under Audio Hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I couldn't find anywhere that toggled audio from OFf to ON."

There is no "ON" or "OFF".  I can't tell you what the choices are because they will be unique to your computer.  So, click the Audio menus in Preferences, see if there are choices and try them.  Also, be sure you have not muted the audio tracks.  There is screen button on the left of each audio track that will mute that track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines