• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import .mpg files into Premiere Elements 15

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Premiere Elements 15 on a Windows 10 computer.  When I drag the .mpg files from my desktop I get this error:

This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not available.

The .mpg files were created with a Sony Handycam Model DCR SX85

The files play just fine on my VLC player.  I have also downloaded QuickTime v7.6 and this didn't not resolve the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very old camcorder that produces standard definition 720x480 video to a hard drive. The program can most certainly edit it.

You say you "drag from desktop".

What happens if you select Add Media/From Files and Folders and browse to the MPEG file?

Meantime, can you confirm that this video was simply copied directly from the camcorder to your hard drive over a USB connection -- and there was not a third-party capture program or device of any kind involved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I get the same error whether dragging from the desktop or choosing media and browsing to the folder.  I can confirm the camera was plugged into the computer using the USB and the files were copied from the camera video folder to the folder on my desktop without using a 3rd party application.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know of absolutely no reason the program would not be able to edit an MPEG from that camcorder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSCCCC,

Try these two methods (if one works, you won't need the other.)

1. Get a file-conversion program and convert the MPEG to an MPEG. Basically, that converts what you have into the same file format but can sometimes serve to remove any extraneous codecs.

2. Convert the MPEG to an MP4.

In both cases be sure to load the video file into the 'Project Assets' rather than directly to the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

And thanks for responding.  I utilized VLC to convert the files to the following:

Video - H.265 + MP3 (MP4)

&

Video for MPEG4 720p TV/device

When I add these files through Add Media neither of them comes across with sound although they both play just fine on VLC.  So it looks like I've replaced one issue with another (perhaps simpler - though I'm not sure).  Any ideas how to rectify?

Thanks!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use HandBrake instead.

Better converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines