• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

canon vixia HV30 not recognized

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the mistake of taking some footage with an old Canon Vixia HV30 and now unfortunately I'm not able to save the video to my computer.  I was successful on the same desktop about 5-6 years ago running Windows 7 and using Adobe Premier Elements 11.  I used a firewire adapter to download the HDV from the Canon. After upgrading the desktop to Windows 10 I didn't have occassion to use the camcorder until now.

Unfortunately while Premier Elements recognizes the camcorder, it crashes everytime I press "pause" on the capture screen.  (Yes, I confirmed tha the project settings are for 1080i HDV.)  I thought that perhaps using the latest Premier may resolve the issue.

Unfortunately Premier Elements 2021 doesn't even recognize the Canon.

Any suggestions or help in dowloading the video for editing woudl be very helpful  Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

I found an old note that may help

Legacy driver http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm
--ALL versions of Windows from 7 through 10 need the legacy driver!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe  dropped the ability to capture tape footage in Elements a long time ago.

Use this little tool, old but still valid.

HDVSplit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ann Bens, thank you for your quick reply.  I tried HDVSplit however it doesn't recognize the camcorder.  Have enve tried changing the Firewire adapter's driver from the Win 10 Texas Instrument to the adapter's manufacturer's driver however HDVSplit still doesn't recognize the camcorder.

Very frustrating that Elements 2021 implies, through the availability of menu options, that it will capture tape footage.  (I understand dropping support, however why include "Add Media" from a camcorder as an option?  Or make clear that it won't work for tapes.)

I'm now going to try loading Windows 7 on a virtual machine...hope that can work to capture the footage.  And then will remind myself not to use the camcorder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your driver is fine. This should work. I have a HV20.

Might be a faulty firewire cable or connection. Try another cable.

Beware not to connect the camera to the pc when camera is turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ann Bens,

I tried 2 different cables and don't connect the camera to the PC when the camera is turned on.

I managed to install Win7 on a 2nd drive, install Elements 11 and was capturing video.  However once I stopped to save it, Elements rquired me to obatin a code to activate the MPEG2 component.  Not available of course given the age of the sofware.  Adobe chat support wasn't able to provide a code.  Will follow @John T Smith's suggestion below and see where that leads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an old note that may help

Legacy driver http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm
--ALL versions of Windows from 7 through 10 need the legacy driver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx @John T Smith .  Will give this a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John T Smith,

Thank you!  I had previously downloaded the legacy drivers however hadn't thought of "let me choose the best driver" option as shown on the Studio1 Productions website.  Worked like a charm.  Will now capture video from 2 other tapes (should have done that 6 years ago!) and remember not to use the camcorder again!  It's a shame because it's a quality camcorder and still recorded good quality high-definition video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are now able to get the video from the camera to computer why stop using it?

I switched from a broken tape camera to one with an SD card a long time ago, but that was only because something inside the tape camera broke

I will say that connecting my camera via USB cable to copy the files is a lot faster than playing the tape back in 1:1 time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I'm afraid of losing the ability to capture video if something changes in a future update to Windows 10 or if there's an issue with the computer itself (2012 Dell desktop).  While I can clone the entire disk, I think I would rather just move on and use a Canon DSLR to record video...which we don't do nearly as much now that our daugter is graduating high school!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use pictures and 1280x720 video from a Canon SX510 camera, which is all I need to make a DVD to share with family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines