• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Certain Lengths of Files No Longer Being Accepted

New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Premiere Elements for some time now, with several different projects of mine. I am far from an expert though, and need som help with a recent issue of mine. I have been using Elements and Elgato together, to record and edit footage of different things, and recently Elements has stopped accepting video files longer than 15 minutes. When I try to use a file longer than that it pops up an error message saying "The Importer Reproted a Generic Error." I have in the past been able to use files of up 2+ hours in length and had no issue whatsoever. I have already lost dozens of hours of footage to this issue, so any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elgato's video can present challenges to editing software. It's not the best screen capture software by any means.

You may need to convert your Elgato video to a more conventional MP4 in order to get the best workflow. Here are my instructions for getting editable video using the great, free Handbrake video converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turned out the issue involved an external hard drive I had plugged into my PC that won't  accept standard MP4 files. Which is why Elgato was converting my video files to weird formats. All I had to do was select my PC's storage space as the default export location for Elgato, and it fixed the problem. I have bookmarked the video for later reference. Thank you for your answer, it really helped me find the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that external drive formated fat32 (with a maximum file size of 4Gig) or ntfs with no file size limit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know. How would I check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a properties menu that says the hard drive is FAT32. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If Windows go to the Search bar at the top of http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ to find an article that will tell you how to format a drive as ntfs... as I remember from a long time ago when I had to do this, it is possible to change the format without loosing any files... but you need to search at Microsoft

ADDED... maybe do a search for

convert fat32 ntfs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines