Chop out clip with keyboard shortcut only - not the mouse

Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a clip.
I move forward 5 seconds and cut with CTRL-K
I move forward another 5 seconds and cut with CTRL-K.
I now have another clip behind the timeline marker.

Now I want to delete that clip, fill the space, and move timeline marker to the last edit point without using the mouse. Is this possible?

(Note if I hit backspace it will delete the clip in front of the timeline marker (don't want to do this), also if I just hit delete on the keyboard it won't do anything unless I use the mouse to select the clip first).

Thanks.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you know most of the options.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I can't do all this without using a mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...mouse?"  I think you need one now that we've all transitioned to graphical interfaces.  I watched others edit video with other programs and they all appear mouse dependent too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to just use a keyboard has always been much faster. The only time I can see mice being quicker is perhaps lassoing multiple clips all at once in one drag.

Mice just makes it easier to start off with, and you don't have to memorise keyboard shortcuts.

Also other methods are helpful for users with disabilities (who may not be able to use a mouse).

Whether you agree with me or not, both methods need to be fully accommodated for, the use case is valid, and besides there can be no reason to have keyboard shortcut for some things and not for others... other than oversight. It's bog standard in audio editing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only actually used Premiere Elements to create videos but, I try to follow the various video editing programs.  Can you point me to any that are mouseless and keyboard only?  Thanks.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No apps are mouse and keyboard only.

Almost all DAW apps can be used exclusively by mouse or by keyboard or both.

Now we're veering off topic, I'm. Not here to have a debate, I would like others to answer my original post if they know rather than debate this. If it doesn't exist then I'll be contacting Adobe for a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would like others to answer my original post if they know ""
"I want to delete that clip, fill the space, and move timeline marker to the last edit point without using the mouse. Is this possible?"

No.

"If it doesn't exist then I'll be contacting Adobe for a feature request."

Adobe usually suggests you do that here:  https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_premiere_elements

I apologize for not being able to help you the way you expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever.

For the rest of us the fastest way to chop up clips using keyboard is to adopt a different method:

1) Focus on project assets.
2) Use keyboard up/down arrows
3) Press enter to open clip on preview window.
4) J/K/L = shuttle playback backwards/stop/forwards (varispeed). Arrow keys to move frame by frame.
5) To chop: i = Edit video inpoint, o = Edit video outpoint - at timeline.
6) "," or "." = Place edited clip on timeline
7) Carry on chopping in the preview window, you will probably need to clear the clip marker (on menu Clip-> Clear Marker - In and Out). A custom shortcut needs to be created, I used "M".

I haven't found a keyboard shortcut to return keyboard focus to the project assets window (see 1), so just the mouse for now. You can set up a shortcut to open and close it, but it will not focus for selection of media files.

My main fraustration now is that I can get the fastest playback speed I can by pressing "L" several times, however I wish I could make this faster (and I don't think I can), it's a tedious speed to quickly review footage...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I'm trying to speed up my workflow via keyboard etc...

Earlier I stated I was fraustrated with playback speed even with a powerful CPU and lots of memory.
I have lots of footage and need to review it quickly.
Obviously I can configure the scratch disk size, but that does very little.
I can improve it a little bit by adding scan exceptions to the Premiere process and my project folders within my antivirus software.

In the end VLC player (free download) is the workaround when reviewing footage, using arrow keys and +/-. Reviewing at 16 speed works quite well. Sad that Premiere Elements can't handle this sort of performance.

Still can't work out how to change focus for the internal windows within the workspace using keyboard only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines