Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy/Stuttering Playback in Timeline Preview - Premiere Elements 15

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am experiencing stuttering in the timeline playback on my PC (please see specs):

Radeon Software Version - 16.12.1

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Memory Size - 2048 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1000 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

I am using .MOV files shot from my DSLR Nikon D5300 @ 1080p 60fps. I noticed the timeline preview playback is choppy, however when I export the final file the playback is fine when playing it on Windows. I have tried nearly all the Project settings to no resolution. All video card drivers are up to date.

I tried this on my Surface Book laptop with dGPU and it has no problems with the timeline playback stutter, so I am not sure if this is a software issue or hardware issue on my PC.

Any help is appreciated.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Hey there, we've visualized some of these potential solutions in a 2-minute video. There's another option listed in this thread that works too – if you go to your Audio Hardware preferences and set your Default Input to "No Input" that can also improve playback performance.

If that doesn't work for you, try these tricks!

Hope it helps

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% fixed. I almost gave up on 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@caroline_edits  - the question is for how to fix in Premier Elements, not PRO, so the video doesn't help. I just bought the Premier update (went from 2019 to 2021) and I'm now plagued with this problem. Hoping to find a fix, otherwise will need to request a refund and look for another video editing solution. Had no issues with the 2019 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nora,

Both Pro and Elements have Audio Hardware settings that can slow things to a crawl.   The 2021 version should work equally well as the 2019 version.   There has to be some settings or hardware issues somewhere causing your slowdown.  

What is your Audio Hardware setting?  Can you post a screen shot?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I the same problem, but as im using adobe CS6, going into edit > preferences > Audio hardware , the only thing there is default device: and the only dropdown menu option says "premiere Pro WDM sound.

There is another box that says ASIO settings, but they do not help in any way, shape, or form.

The playback is fine for 2 seconds, then averages 1/2 fps, or even less. I have rendered the whole project but it does nothing to help. When my computer can play high resolution games with ease, but editing a 720p video on a low res game makes the fps drop down significantly, it makes me very fustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried SO MANY things, read everything on the internet and followed a heap of different optimisation guides to no avail, but this one sentence about the audio input is what made a massive difference! 1000% improvement!

Super strange, but whatever, i can actually watch videos im editing now. 

Highly suggest this info is spread far and wide. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having repetitive, stuttering issues in the playback of all footage in Premiere Pro and have a Blackmagic capture card installed, it may be because your Audio Hardware input is set the Blackmagic Line. Change this to no input and it should solve the problem. 

Edit / Preferences / Audio Hardwere / Default Input / select 'No Imput'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After having installed EpocCam software started having the same issues (choppy playback). Uninstalled, and it's back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines