• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Codec issue or Import failure

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello- I have Premiere Elements 2021 and have been able to succesfully edit, however when I attempt to open the file the next day, for example, the file import failure error message below pops up. 

I've read elsewhere on this form that installing Handbrake can help, which I've tried, but it doesn't seem to do anything with my edited project. 

Could this mean that I have to start the editing project from scratch?

redrosevideos_0-1617024766738.png

Also, I had saved the project to both my hard drive and an external hard drive.  When I open the project from the external hard drive I get the following...

redrosevideos_1-1617024766739.png

...and ignoring it, if I just X out of the folder, it takes me to the PE timeline where everything looks fine to proceed.  I just don't get it.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

Rose

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing your screen, I have to do some guessing.    The first is that you are not keeping the media files and the project on the same drive.  The second is that you are moving or removing the media files after you start the project. 

How are you saving the project to two different drives?  Where are the source media files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, Bill!  Can you tell I'm a beginner?

I had saved the media files in a folder within the external drive and the PE project is also saved on the same external drive, but not in the folder. 

When I'm in PE, I'm saving the project "Save As" and also "Save A Copy" on both the computer hard drive and also the external drive mentioned above.  It's only going into the  external drive that I can still open the project and work on it (I cannot do this by opening the file from the hard drive), but even by going into the external drive I get the Skip/Skip All/Offline/Offline error and once I "X" out of that window, PE opens and I can work.  I hope that is clear.

The file import failure error message pops up when I try to retrieve the files from my hard drive, and when I "X" out of that window I am unable to work in PE.

I just purchased PE in Feb. but an earlier version I owned (2018) never gave me this issue.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hunch is based on your sentence, "I had saved the media files in a folder within the external drive and the PE project is also saved on the same external drive, but not in the folder. "

Video editors, including Premiere Elements, do not contain the media.  They record links to the media.  So, all your original video clips, pictures and music files have to remain where they were when you start the project.   

For a test, create a test folder on your primary drive.   Put a couple clips in there and open a project in that folder.  Add the media, make a couple edits and exit with normal saving.  Don't move anything or mix drives.  Open and close the project a few times.  Does it work normally?

Again, without seeing your screen or watching you do this, I'm guessing a bit.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bill.  I will give that test a try.  Appreciate the assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are trying to import a project into the program which you cannot do.

Go to File and hit OPEN.

Navigate to your Elements folder and OPEN PROJECT or Recent Project.

afbeelding.png

afbeelding.png

In your explorer check File Extension to see the file extension (.prel)

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also start from the Opening Screen and open your project.

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for all the help, Ann.  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines