Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer shuts down while editing video in Premiere Elements

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Community,

(Computer spec's listed at the end) For over a year I have been experiencing automatic computer reboots occasionally while working on video editing in Premiere Elements - previously version 12 and most recently version 15. It also happened while working in PowerPoint, so it is not unique to the software. For that reason I have been troubleshooting it with a general tech support forum here. I also hadn't been so proactive about it as it was happening rarely enough not to affect my workflow too much. On my most recent project, however, I can't work on part of my video for more than a few seconds before an automatic reboot triggers.

The current project is HD 1080p 60fps video with mostly pictures, music, and basic animation. The problem is when I want to use some video within this movie. The video is HD 1080p 30fps, so I thought potentially the frame rate difference was putting some kind of strain on my system resulting in a reboot. The pictures part of the video is fine and I have been working on it for several hours a day for the last couple days, but any time I try to work with the imported video - no rendering, just scrolling through it in the Expert edit window - the system reboots. I turned off Windows automatic restart on system failure and the problem still occurs.

I found a potentially useful post in the forum here, but I was wondering if others had ideas to go about addressing this problem? I have done all kinds of diagnostic tests recommended in the tech support forum, and heat does not seem to be the issue.

Thanks for any information or advice you can provide,

Chris

Computer information:

Built: June 2014

Chassis : Desktop

Mainboard : ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Power Supply: Seasonic SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze

Memory: 2x Corsair 8GB DIMM DDR3

Monitor/Panel : ACR Acer H236HL (1920x1080, 23.1")

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2GB)

System Storage: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

File Storage: Western Digital 750GB SATA300, 2.5", 7200rpm

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64

Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements 15 (no issue experienced yet in Photoshop)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that you're experiencing it with several versions of the software and most if not all people are not indicates it's most likely an issue with your system. Since this is an assembled computer and not a brand name off-the-shelf computer, it could be something as simple as problems with the memory or (more likely) heat.

I'm no expert in this area -- but I have edited similar video on Windows 7, 8 and 10 with nothing even resembling a computer shut down. So I really don't expect it's a bug in several versions of the software. Rarely, in a very complicated project, the program might crash. But a complete shut down and reboot of the computer? That's more likely a hardware issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I agree it is likely a system issue. Just trying this community as I seem to have gotten as far as I can on the tech support site with narrowing down what the exact issue is. I ran some stress tests that got my processor temps up to the mid 80s Celsius, about twice as hot as I have ever seen working in Premiere Elements, with no shutdown. And I did a Unigine test that should have pushed my video card much further than I would in video editing, also with no issue. I am left with my power supply, which there doesn't seem to be any reliable way to test, aside from swapping it out with a different one and seeing what happens. I'll probably do a full system restore before I go down the route of replacing components.

Before that I think I will go in and try some of the suggestions at the other forum post (changing energy settings etc.), if anyone here has anything to add along those lines.

Thanks for the feedback,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer's site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peru Bob,

I updated to the latest driver after experiencing the problem, and have since been working on the parts of the project that don't require imported video. I will try again soon and see if the update achieved anything. When you say rolling back the driver, do you mean to the previous version?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tokyo_teacher  wrote

When you say rolling back the driver, do you mean to the previous version?

Previous version or versions, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

just a hopefully interesting addition to this, I recently had this problem and after reams of searching and still only seeing a slight improvement I think I have discovered that the cause of the problem was rendering to my ONEDRIVE folder. Even though I have a 100mb connection and thunderbolt dock - this seemed to be causing various issues whilst rendering. changing to a local folder seems to have fixed the issue for now.

I hope someone finds this useful

Cam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey all,

I have been experiencing a similar issue with Premiere Pro 13.1.2 (Build 9) on an iMac Pro, where my computer would just suddenly freeze then shut down and restart in the middle of working.  I noticed that it seemed to happen whenever I was scrubbing through multicam clips.  The multicams were comprised of both R3D and MP4 files.

The solution that seems to have solved it was to an export an AIFF of the audio within the multicam sequence, insert the AIFF into track 1, and disable and mute all the other audio tracks. 

This leads to the discussion of whether or not to transcode everything prior to working, or at least creating proxy files, but I won't go into that as the necessity of that step can vary from project to project.  But hopefully the above solution might save some stress for someone else down the line.  Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines