• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contour Shuttlexpress

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Shuttlexpress jog wheel has an inner dial and outer ring. Can anyone using the Shuttlexpress tell me if the outer ring can be configured to move along the timeline by sliding the horizontal scroll bar, while the inner dial / knob scrubs the timeline by moving the "playback head"?

TOPICS
Tips and tricks , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a shuttle express?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey .. it's a USB accesory 'jog wheel' to help make video editing easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Contour-ShuttleXpress-Input-Device  

I know it works with Premiere Elements ... Has a few buttons / function keys. But the main feature is the double wheel / dial I describe.

BTW, I don't actually have this yet .. am new to Adobe and video editing. Hoping to find out some details before buying accessories.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you new to video editing start with a mouse.

When mastering the program get yourself the shuttle.

I have no idea if the feature you are asking for can be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Ann.  Addionally, review some of the keyboard shortcut workflows.  Start with how the J K and L key work.  With other shortcut keys you may find a shuttle a bother.   

I watched a tutorial yesterday on "speed editing" in Premiere Pro.  Two keys easy for left hand positioning were remapped to "Cut" and "Ripple Delete".  With the right hand on the mouse, editing flew!   

Ignore most of this because it will cause confusion (!).  But watch the technique starting at about 3:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQDGJn89uNk&t=220s 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for advice. (Ann too.) Appreciate comments on mousing and KB shortcuts. I am quickly trying to master using a combo of mouse / slider and left / right arrows to step thru... One difficulty I am finding is there seems to be no default use of the mouse scroll wheel. For ex., in Expert timeline the mouse wheel simply shifts the track window up or down. To me, it would make better sense to hover or click in timeline and have the scroll wheel scrub through frames. It just seems a bit awkward to have to constantly mouse over to the Zoom slider (at far right), reposition (find frame / sequence) with the horizontal Timeline slider at bottom, then finally grab the 'playback head,' etc.

If either of you don't mind commenting further ... am I am not using a typical / ideal workflow? Suggestions?

Thanks for help.

CB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"commenting further" (!)  I don't know if there is a common workflow.   Video editing is complex enough that everyone develops a personal style and habits.   As often as I try to improve my routine, I fall back on basic habits to get what I want done.   A lot of it falls on adapting to what the software offers rather than trying to make the software do it my way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I see your point. Prem Elements might have a few quirks ... but it seems to do a very good job with things like grain (editing Super 8), adjusting under / over exposure, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed that it is very good.  Until you need unusual professional tools like multi camera, team projects, audio syncronization, etc., it is all that's needed.  

How are you getting your Super 8 to digital?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂

Re Super 8 to digital ... sent about 1,200' to a more or less local one person shop. Results seem fine .. they say they used new, german MWA scanner. I think I forgot to ask for extra enhancements, though, so now have to do considerable exposure & grain correction. Not sure if they wiped for dust, either ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  My sister had old family 8mm movies put on VHS tapes.  Sometimes I think I should do it again to digital but lack the enthusiam!  Dad wasn't that good at making movies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting ... yes, ours went on to VHS (complete with cheesy background music 😉 at some point. Recently all of the Super 8 movies, photos and memerobilia were left with me so I decided to have the Super 8 digitized. But, like you -- probably like most home films of that era -- quality is inconsitent. So lots of "post production" .. I have alot of slides too, but in that case I thought I would just pick out a few 'keepers' and scan them myself, rather than have a ton more to upload . . . . Basically, me and my sister are the only ones looking at these at this point.

If you are curious and want the details re conversion let me know and I will DM. 1,200' cost about $600. The business is Transfer to Digital and operates in Western Canada . . . but I know there are lots of services out there now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"about $600"

Thanks for the offer.  I've got way too many lenses, drones, stabilzers and e-bikes on my lists to spend good money on watching dad's footage.  I wish I still had his editing machine.  It had crank reels on each side, a small screen and cutter.  He would slice and glue the film!  I think that might have been "linear editing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, nostalgia isn't cheap . . .and maybe not all it's cracked up to be 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too would like to do what you were describing and eneded up here looking for answers. Were you able to sort out with the help of the Shuttleexpress and jog wheel to move the timeline?

I have been using the mouse for awhile now and there must be a faster and better way in doing what I/ we want to do.

Best Regards,

Avers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines