• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert and import Hi-8 video into Premier Elements

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do I need and how do I convert Hi-8 so that I can import into Premier Elements 13?

James Engles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Although the description doesn't specify, the device works on Windows 8 so I've little doubt it works on Windows 10 also.

But just to be safe, you could go with this one.

Amazon.com: Top-Longer USB 2.0 Video Grabber with Audio for Mac OS X and Windows - VHS to DVD Converter (Updated Version…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pretty old format, so there's no direct way to do it (as there used to be, if you have a backwards compatible Sony Digital 8 camcorder that played Hi8 tapes).

A simple digitizer may be the easiest way to convert the tape. It should save your video to a format that Premiere Elements 13 can work with.

Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/TOTMC-Capture-Adapter-Windows-Window/dp/B00M7T8T1E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=150...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, I failed to mention I am using Premiere Elements on Windows 10. The product you suggested does not work on Windows 10 according to its description. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the description doesn't specify, the device works on Windows 8 so I've little doubt it works on Windows 10 also.

But just to be safe, you could go with this one.

Amazon.com: Top-Longer USB 2.0 Video Grabber with Audio for Mac OS X and Windows - VHS to DVD Conver...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO this video grabber is a waist of money.

Chances are you get out of sync footage.

Get yourself an second hand xp computer with firewire and a second hand D8 camcorder (capable to play Hi8 as not all models can)

Capture and transfer to new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Ann's suggestion is certainly ideal -- IF you can get your hands on a Digital8 camcorder and a computer with a FireWire connection -- I still stand by my original suggestion.

This device will capture MPEGs which can be edited in Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont want mpeg, too compressed. You want dv avi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you, Ann. Your point is well taken. That's the ideal format for this type of video. But devices that capture DV-AVI are no longer being made. And current versions of Premiere Elements edit MPEGs just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is why i said get a second hand xp machine with firewire. D8 camera's are still around on ebay. Problem solved.

Its not the editing of mpeg, its the compression, its visual lossless which dv-avi is not. You dont want to lose picture quality in Hi8 footage.

Getting such a device with a very high chance of getting out of sync footage. Try and get that corrected....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines