• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Titles in Premiere Elements 2018

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am enjoying Premiere Elements so far but for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to do some of what I would think are the simplest most common things to do in a video editing program.  I am doing an interview-style video and have my subject on the left of the screen leaving whitespace on the right for overlays.  I want to create a custom title that slides in from the right edge that I can keep re-using with different text.  Also, I want to have a vertical list of key points appear on screen as the subject mentions them.  So far, I have created these both but with great painstaking effort and no reusability.  When I "duplicate" my titles in project assets, they lose their positioning and any animation, meaning the "duplicate" is essentially useless to me.  What I want is to create a custom title like the ones in the library of titles that come with the program - is this possible?  Also, there seems to be no way to align or space out multiple titles and if I put all bullet points in one text, I can't animate them individually.  These all seem like they should be the first, most basic functions of a video editing suite so what am I missing?

Here is an example of what I want:  The blue title slides in from right and would have different text each time it's used, the bullets could slide as well but I have them fading in at their location for now. As I mentioned, I want to make something I can re-use.

Thanks,

Rob.

StoryboardSample.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

This is the resulting video:  https://vimeo.com/257386414

The project looks like this....

Capture.JPG

Each title in the left column of the Project Assets box was created new from the Classic Default Text.  The titles in the next to columns were created with Duplicate, not copy.  Then renamed to keep track.   The "masters" in the left column were treated with the SlideInByLine Animation effect.  The positioning of the titles from the first column to the next two remains in place.  The text is changed by doubl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which title templates are you using.  I want to try it because what you want to do should work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using a template, I wanted to make one.  What I have so far, I have created just using File, New, Title but it's static one-off.  I have read that you can alter an existing template and save it out as a custom one but when I went down that path, what I want is so far from any of the templates, it didn't seem possible.  I did alter one or two, but I ran into issues with changing animation direction, text location, etc.

Should I be able to completely edit an existing template and fully customize it?

Thanks,

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I mis used the word template.  I was referring to title choices.  I think your goal should be pretty simple, but titles can be a little confusing.  I'll try a few things and try to get back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 

Currently, even if I duplicate them, the animation and position is lost so I am really back at square one each time and it will take me weeks to create all my content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the resulting video:  https://vimeo.com/257386414

The project looks like this....

Capture.JPG

Each title in the left column of the Project Assets box was created new from the Classic Default Text.  The titles in the next to columns were created with Duplicate, not copy.  Then renamed to keep track.   The "masters" in the left column were treated with the SlideInByLine Animation effect.  The positioning of the titles from the first column to the next two remains in place.  The text is changed by double clicking the title in the timeline with the playhead positioned above it. 

My curiosity is satisfied that it can be done with disciplined organization of the title clips.   But, I wonder if there is not  other software easier to use for this. 

Good luck with your project!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, thanks for all your effort and I'm really excited to se the video but Vimeo says Sorry, we couldn't find that page... 

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Try this:  Title Testing HQ on Vimeo

(You caught me trying to protect my artistic reputation on Vimeo.  I thought I could "hide" it from the public and show it to you.  If this second link doesn't work,  I will make it fully public long enough for you to see it!)

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome Bill that worked great!  I had taken what you said in the meantime and managed to figure out that the "treatments" were something I had not learned.  While you have accomplished exactly what I was asking, I have a few follow-up bonus questions about your process:

1. When I applied the slide-in-by-line, it came in right to left, is there an option had I wanted left to right?

2. Where would I adjust the speed of the animation for the Master?

3. Did you line the two up by eye or is there a ruler feature?  Or did you grab both and Align > Left?

4. On my title in my storyboard shot, there is a rectangle shape behind the text, can I add that to the text Master?

Thanks again for all your time and effort, hopefully I will be on your end one day with some other noob!

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  I have not found a slide in from the left. 

2.  Speed seems based on the length of the title.  The portion with the slide in could be shorter and matched with the same title that does not have the effect applied. 

3.  The line ups are by eye but I have "snap" turned on (right click a blank spot in the timeline area.)

4.  I think you can add the shape.  I don't have a lot of practice.  But there are "shapes" in the title adjustments area.  I think you can add a graphic in the form of a shape. 

Titles can get really complex!

When you get done with this project I would enjoy seeing it.  You should be able to send me a "private message" to a link on YouTube if you feel like showing it to me.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure Bill, I'll let you know - it's destined for public consumption anyway

Thanks again for your help.

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines