• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete & Close Gap option not working properly

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to trim my clips. This has always worked before but now on my project when I click delete and close gap the gap does not close and I am left with an empty space where the clip was. How do I fix this. I am not gonna sit here and drag all my clips to the left everytime I want to fill the gap. Plus its harder to match up with the music I am trying to play it with. Please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

As far as I can tell Delete and Close Gap only works on Video 1.

Looks like its by design.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have video or audio on other tracks that are keeping this gap from extending through your entire timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve. I have just upgraded to v2018 and am having the same problem on a 35 minute project including stills and video. Delete and Close Gap doesn't work now on any frame - worked perfectly for days. I have never added video or audio on its own.

Now I want to prepare short videos of particular scenes - is there a workaround to copy a range of frames to a new file? Tried making a "copy" but it also has the same issue - an 18 minute blank section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by "copy a range of frames to a new file."

You can not copy media from one project to another, if that's what you're asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly correct. I was thinking how I salvage data from a corrupt spreadsheet or word processing file etc.

So looks like the only solution is to build a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand the goal.  If I do, a technique would be to set the work area bars to the beginning and ending of the "range of frames" then output a video with settings that match the source.  You can then use that new video as the source for a new project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using 2018 and a mix of jpg and video I cannot see how to set "the work area bars to the beginning and ending of the "range of frames"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work area  bars:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screengrabs helped me - v2018 is a bit different, but I did Add Media from Files & Folders and imported the mp4 video I created. Double clicking a frame opens Clip Monitor and right click gives Set Clip Marker.  Closing Clip Monitor I have the cut scene with blank video either side - but importantly Delete & Close gap works.  Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JayJoy,

If possible, please share a screenshot of your timeline (along with gap) where your 'Delete and close Gap' option is not working.

PS: Imagine a case where there is music on your timeline without any gaps, and you have gap in your video track. In that case, 'delete and close gap' option is disabled as per design. But lets have a look at your timeline to see the issue in your case.

Thanks,

Nidhi Bhushan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my issue as well...I can't close gaps while music is also stacked. So, my question is how do you close gaps automatically while editing to music? Thank you for any help you can give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you lock the audio track, it should work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue on Adobe Premiere Elements 2020 (Windows 10).

You are seeing the full project on the timeline.

Premiere Elements Close Gap.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem problem as AdobeAlexS. Trying to Delete and Close Gap in voice (narration) track. Delete works, but I can't close the gap. If I drag audio from right to left to close the gap, it restores what I just deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Trying to Delete and Close Gap in voice (narration) track."

The Narration track seems to have some special attributes.  You might try cutting and pasting the Narration into the first empty audio track above the video.  Editing controls might work better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell Delete and Close Gap only works on Video 1.

Looks like its by design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed my issue in the end. I downloaded DaVinci Resolve which is free. The application is so much better, Premiere Elements is now forgotten history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have some more video tracks on your timeline and still use that feature.

You need to just unselect other video and audio tracks (toggle track targeting) on the left side of your timeline, where you have V1, V2, A1, A2 etc. ane leave just V1 selected (worked on Premiere 2020)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are posting in the Elements forum. Elements does not have track targeting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I refer you to my last post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobeAlex, you've been telling us since 2020 that you've moved on to DaVinci Resolve. Why do you keep hanging out on this forum, taking swipes at Premiere Elements, if you've "never looked back"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thread locked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines