• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit Question

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand when you import a file you are just creating a link to the original file.

When you drag it over onto the timeline a copy of it is made in the project panel.

My question is what do you do with it after the edit,after you shorten it,color correct and SAVE. If I don't want to leave it on the timeline can I drag it back to the bin? Do I "clear it",,can I delete the original file and just keep the edited one?

Also,can I keep an edited clip to use in another project?,,if so how?

I've watched U Tube videos and I don't see an an answer, so if anyone has a link to a tutorial,,GREAT !!

Any help is much appreciated .Thank you,,,

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

"When you drag it over onto the timeline a copy of it is made in the project panel."

-- It is not a copy but a real time, temporary preview.

"what do you do with it after the edit,after you shorten it,color correct and SAVE."

-- You can 'output' to an entirely new video.  "Saving" inside of Premiere Elements is saving the project which is a file full of the adjustments or edits you make.  In other words, saving and exporting are two different things. 

"If I don't want to leave it on the timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you drag it over onto the timeline a copy of it is made in the project panel."

-- It is not a copy but a real time, temporary preview.

"what do you do with it after the edit,after you shorten it,color correct and SAVE."

-- You can 'output' to an entirely new video.  "Saving" inside of Premiere Elements is saving the project which is a file full of the adjustments or edits you make.  In other words, saving and exporting are two different things. 

"If I don't want to leave it on the timeline can I drag it back to the bin?"

--If you don't want it to be in your output video, delete it.  If you delete it in the Media bin it will be deleted from the entire project but it does not actually delete the file from your computer. 

"can I keep an edited clip to use in another project?"

-- You could export it and use the new exported file in a new project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,,,

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What am I doing wrong ?, I SAVE changes,,close P.P. but when I reopen I only have the orginal file,,NO edites were kept

frustrated..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain the steps you are taking to save your changes and the steps you are taking to reopen the project.   

This is not like editing photos.  The original video file will not have changes made to it.   PrE will remember your intended edits or changes that will be there when you Export a new video file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you doing this to open your project file?

OpenRecent.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Im used to Photshop.import image,edit,save,,done..

My steps,

import files into project panel

Review and trim I/O in source monitor,
drag over to the timeline for further edits.

FILE.> SAVE

At this point I assume chnages  to clips  are saaved and a copy is saved in project panel

so I clear the off the timelime, meaning I delete them. 

I open PP and open the project from the list of recnt projeccts shown on the UI.

Guess what,,no you dont to have to guess,,you KNOW,,all I have are the orginals files...

Obviously I'm missing something,but than that is appernt to you,,LOL

Should I open  project elsewhere?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you do file-save you are NOT saving a new, edited video file... you are saving the project file, and you should not clear the timeline

To save a new, edited video file you need to do Export & Share to a new file

Go to http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/PrE2021.txt where I have a list of over 30 tutorial videos to watch

Since it is a text file, you will need to copy/paste the links into your web browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John,

THANK YOU!! I appreciate your help...  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines