• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a video taken with Go Pro

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to edit an H.265 video in Premiere Elements, which I converted to H.264 with the Handbrake. But it's still not taking it - the resolution is lost.  Any ideas? Can anybody help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What resolution and frame rate is your original video?

Make sure you are outputting your video from Handbrake at the same resolution and that you check the option for Constant Frame Rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. Was about to buy PE 2019 for Win10, but decided to start with a trial version. Was shocked to see it won't import standard H.265 GoPro 4K footage. If this is correct, it's a deal breaker for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good news that you found what you want in the trial.

It is arguable if GoPro sets the mark that H.265 is now standard.  Until H.265 licensing is straightened out, H.265 will be a unique anomaly to a few cameras.  Even then, H.264 can be selected.  Files are somewhat larger, but picture quality is the same.

The GoPro website offers explanations and suggestions for handling H.265 footage.  https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/how-to-convert-gopro-hevc-videos-to-h-264-using-handbrake

If H.265 is the only focal point for your choice and you want to stay in the non-pro price range, you might look at Cyberlink Power Director. I found it frustrating to use, but it is supposed to include H.265 support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply and link to solutions! I'll moderate my initial comment and say PE has already been my go-to solution for several years, and I was hoping the latest edition would provide a more efficient workflow than having to transcode with HandBrake (which I've also used a lot).

I mostly use H.264 with my GoPro Hero 6, as long as I accept 4K is limited to 30fps. For 4K 50-60fps there's no other choice than the camera's implementation of HEVC (H.265) which provides a far less usable file format, at least for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did not know the connection between 4K, 60p and the need to use H.265.  Thanks.

In a perfect world, Adobe would include a few more features in Premiere Elements.  (I could list them!)  But, reality is that Premiere Elements is aimed to be a lower priced, consumer level editing system.   To get "everything" Adobe offers Premiere Pro on a $20 per month rental.  That seems expensive to an amateur, home movie maker.  But, compared to all the other things we spend money on and costs of various "hobbies", it is not a lot of money. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines