• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2020 time stretch headache

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm using Premiere Elements 2020 to edit a 3 track video.  I have each the footage of my camera angles sync'd up on three tracks and I'm able to switch back and forth between camera angles by adusting the opacity of each of the videos on the separate tracks.  There is a place in one of the videos where I need to time stretch a scene (no sound).  I split the clip on either side of the scene in question to created a new clip that i want to stretch.  I then trimmed the clip on the right by dragging the red bracket to the right thinking I was making room for the time stretching.  As expected, there was now a space on that track. to allow for and extension of my new clip.  I attempted to then timestretch the newly created clip.  I wanted to slow it down.  I changed the speed to 50%.  As expected, the new clip increased in length by the appropriate amount.  BUT, and here's the problem (sorry for the long preamble), instead of the clip just filling in the gap, it pushed the right-hand trimmed clip ahead on the timline by the same amount.  And to make matters worse, it also pushed the clip on another track ahead by the same amount.  This is not a desirable outcome as now two of my three  tracks are out of sync.  I just wanted to create some space on that track for a slow-down of part of the clip.  
What am I doing wrong?  What is the simplest way to accomplish slowing down part of a clip while maintaining sync in the rest of the video.  Thank you for your time.  Any and all suggestions welcome.

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

The program will ripple the timeline if you add a Time Stretch to a clip on your timeline. There is nothing I'm aware of that can prevent this. 

If you move the clip to the end of your timeline, you can add your Time Stretch, trim the clip down and then add it back into your movie. But that's about the only way I know around your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program will ripple the timeline if you add a Time Stretch to a clip on your timeline. There is nothing I'm aware of that can prevent this. 

If you move the clip to the end of your timeline, you can add your Time Stretch, trim the clip down and then add it back into your movie. But that's about the only way I know around your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now why didn't I think of that?? That's exactly what I needed to hear. I
will move my clip to the end, time stretch it and move it back. Simple and
effective and I get to keep my tracks in sync! Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please mark this topic as correctly answered, Jims. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gladly.  I do not see a function for doing that.  Only a "report" option. Maybe it's because I am on a phone?  I'll log in from a computer and see if I can find that.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on the web site posting a reply, you'll see the option to click Correct Answer right below the last posted response to your topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks.  I will look for that when I can get back on the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally marked answer as correct.  sorry for the long response time, Steve.  thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, in the Time Stretch dialog, behind the Speed: 100% is a little 'link' icon. This will avoid the ripple editing and keep your clip the same length (well... most of the time). Carefull: you have to click to 'unlink' before you change the speed, otherwise it won't work. Once you adjust the speed you can change the length of your clip to fill the gap (holding CTRL to disable ripple editing).

I used to do the same thing as the proposed 'correct' answer but this is a nightmare when you are zoomed in or your project gets bigger and you need to move your clip all the way to the end, change time and move all the way back. The unlink feature is a buggy at times but definately better then the 'move to the back' solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fantastic! I can't wait to try this technique. Thanks for responding to
this thread. can you elaborate on holding CTRL to disable ripple editing?
is that while i'm trimming the clip? I don't understand ripple editing
really so sorry if i'm asking a dumb question.

Thanks,
Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's pretty simple, normally when you drag to stretch a clip (making it shorter or longer) everything behind it will follow your adjustment. This is what we call ripple editing. Holding CTRL while stretching your clip will keep everything behind it in place.

Note: Logically, this will not work if you are dragging right and there is another clip right behind or when dragging left and there is a clip right in front because then there will be no room to stretch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines