I've been working on a video in VOB format, copied from a DVD to my SSD. The editing is successful, no issues there. When I export to DVD ISO it completes in about 10 minutes, I'm guessing there is no conversion going on here hence why it is faster. When I wan to export to another format (I've tried loads of them) the saving video / rendering media process takes literally days. Premiere is taking up hardly any capacity on my computer, SSD remains hardly touched, in around 8 hours it has only done 144MB - the CPU is not touched, memory is static around 1.4GB.
It seems to me the export process is somehow capped or set to be in the background or something. My computer has ample resources which it's not bothering to use!
Has anyone seen this before? If so is there a cause?
What operating system do you have with which version of the program? What processor do you have with how much RAM?
If you look under the Edit menu, what is listed on the General page of Project Settings?
What happens if you go to the program's preferences and, on the General page, uncheck Hardware Acceleration (which can actually SLOW the program)?
I have Adobe Premiere 2018 (16.0) running on an i7-5600U, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD on Windows 10 1709. I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware specification as none of the resources are constrained in any way during the export process.
Here are the general settings, I'll try hardware acceleration and get back to you.
Unfortunately removing hardware acceleration doesn't help make things render faster
Your project settings are not for a 720x480 VOB file. That mismatch is certainly affecting things.
Start a new project. On the New Project screen, click the Settings button and select the preset for Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorder/Standard 48 khz (or Widescreen 48 khz, if your VOBs are for a widescreen DVD). Then, back at the New Project screen, select the option to Force Settings.
If you've selected the correct settings for your video, you will NOT see a yellow orange "render" line above the video as you add it to your timeline. Is that the case?
Hi Steve, thanks for the input. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make a difference, there is no orange line as mentioned. Parts of it are green and in other parts there is no colour. I started a new project as suggested for a widescreen DVD and when exporting the issue persists. Any other ideas?
I have a MP4 copy of one of the same DVD's, if I import this and export it then it flies through no problem. The issue seems to be when using VOB as the source format. I suppose I could convert the VOB to MP4 using a different utility then edit them as MP4 instead. Bit of a pain but right now I don't have a working product for my needs.
l don't know how you got your VOBs and what the specs of the source are, but I've frequently used DVD video as source video in my projects with no problems.
You just put the DVD in your computer's DVD player and then use Add Media/From Computer Drive or DVD to rip the video from the disc to your computer.
If you'd like use to look at a sample of your video so we can see if there's anything unusual about its specs, open one of your VOB videos in the free download MediaInfo. Set MediaInfo's View menu to Text and then copy and paste the report it generates to this forum. (I'm assuming all of your VOBs are from exactly the same source and have exactly the same specs -- although, from the results you reported above, that may not be the case.)
I think I've finally worked this out, after a lot of piecing things back together, only adding in a bit at a time until the issue occurred; I think the slowness is caused by placing text with a transparent background on top of the video, I guess this is causing each frame to be re-rendered with the text frame by frame, it seems to cause Premiere to go weird, the frames that get rendered don't always align properly, I've seen it render the section at different speeds or clips from different cuts from the same VOB. If I place text on a simple black background for example and fade into the movie from there, there is no issue at all. I can render and export at good speeds, and the resources of my machine actually get effected, 70-80% CPU with the GPU in use as well.
To be honest, I'm happy doing a simple black background and text for each section, however it would be good to know if this is a bug or if there is a way to get it to work properly for the future.