Exit

For Steve G.: Added Moving Line to Map in PE14 but Transition Interferes

Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is for Steve...

PE14 on a WIN7 PC.

I'm putting together a short vacation video mostly with slides and with just one video clip taken with a phone phone (Samsung).  I'm at the start of this project.

I added this video clip as the first item to the project & then added a number of photographs.

As an intro I show the route flown & did this based on what Steve shows here:

Add a moving line to a map in PE 14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUPpc7RUAJ8

I placed the graphic with the route in Blue into Video 1 & Grey into Video 2.

This works well.  The clips with the maps are 6 seconds long and

is preceeded by 4 seconds "Stagelight".  Above "Stagelight" is "Default text"

for exactly the same length - both Video 1 & 2 have fade-in & out applied.

I exported the video as I would for YouTube: Devices / TV & HD 1080 (about 64MB in size):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwn79nrzsnh089l/CalaFornells-2017-NOXD.mp4?dl=0

Because the change from "Stagelight" to the map with the route flown is

rather abrupt I added a transition (cross-disolve) for 1 second between

the "Stagelight" & the Blue route map, I did the same on Video 2 between

the Default Text and the Grey route map.  See timeline:

TimeLine.jpg

When previewing (& playing this exported video) some strange things happen.

1. Instead of the flight route being all grey & "moving" from top to bottom into blue it starts off blue, fades to grey & then transitions to blue from the top (this as it should).
  2. At the same time the top inch or so of the entire screen (map) is partialy greyed-out before reaching full intensity.

See:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/vubm7bbuhewpi6k/CalaFornells-2017.mp4?dl=0

Clearly somehow the transition is interferring.  Any ideas?

HEM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying the effect works until you add the transition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the strange effects appear when I add the transition.

I suppose what I could to is to remove the transitions, insert the "screenshot-Grey" for 1 or 2 seconds into Video 1 between "StageLight" and "screenshot-Blue" and place the transition between those two.  This would hopefully avoid the side effect & give the eye a chance to adjust to the "screenshot-Grey" before the blue route starts to appear.

Similarly I could add a couple of seconds of "screenshot-Blue" before the close-in map...

Although that does not address the problem the end effect could actually be more pleasing to the eye...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple solution is to create the map and line animation and then output it as an MP4. Then, rather than trying create the animation and the transition all on the same timeline, you just use the MP4 on the timeline and add the title and transition before it.

BTW, that's a really great looking map animation! Good job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you suggest I should create a mini-project with just the map animation, export this as an MP4 file and then in my main project add the MP4 file to the project assets & the timeline and any transitions would be added on top...

What I tried just now was to insert a 1-second click of the map with the grey track between the "Stagelight" and the animated maps with this 1-second clip fading in.  There is a very slight jump between the 1-second clip & the animation but its not really noticeable.

Adding a second of Blue map afterwards was doomed to failure as that 1-second clip is the original graphic and the animation has scaled & zoomed by the time it gets to the end.  I pasted the Effects & adjustments onto that 1-second clip but of course that didn't work either as it also did the complete motion.   Now maybe if I could delete the motion from that 1-second clip...

However, the change from the air route to the close-in map is not such a "jump" to the eye as the colour scheme is similar:

CalaFornells-2017-TRY3.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To complete this story - I worked-around the issue rather than solving it.

My latest (& final) version is here (all annimation takes place during the first 15 seconds):

Dropbox - CalaFornells-2017.mp4

I "animated" both maps with reasonable results, even if we didn't solve why the transitions somehow appeared to interfere - I now avoided using transitions on the animated clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines