Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Garbage Matte Outline

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I recently upgraded to Premiere Elements 18.

Whenever I use a garbage matte on an image that I have also applied a blend mode to, a strange pixelated green outline forms around the border of where I have the garbage matte. I use this technique to add visual effects to my videos and films. I add an image, use a blend mode to take out the background, and than add a garbage matte to trim any unwanted edges, or make the overlay appear to be behind something in the frame. Even when the project is saved to the computer, the green outlines still appears. Sometimes the outline is black, but it is always very thin and pixelated. This essentially makes this effect unusable, because the outline is extremely distracting and looks like an amateur mistake. I did not have this problem when I used earlier versions of Premiere Elements, such as Premiere Elements 13. Let me add that this problem is apparent on blending modes such as darken. multiply, color burn and linear burn, however the blend mode called darker color does not cause this line to appear. I have tried to use an edge feather already, this does nothing. I also know that my computer is up to the correct standard to use this program, and I am wondering what the problem is.

Thanks

Cameron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screenshot of your timeline with preview window and the properties of all the effects applied in the effects palet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 8.51.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-02 at 8.52.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-02 at 8.52.09 PM.png

Above is just one example but let me add that although the pixelated lines clearly follow the garbage matte, I think this problem originates with the blend modes because often times when no garbage matte has been applied to an image or video, just selecting a blend mode alone will cause this to happen. In that case, the border just forms around the original border of the image.

Thanks

Ann Bens​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This overlay is it just a clip (mov?) with alpha?

I swap out skies quite often.

but use the track matte effect with a feathered edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had that happen when the anchor point was moved by me inadvertently on the clip with the garbage matte. A misalignment of just 5/100ths of a pixel caused the artifacts. So, if you accidentally move the anchor point (read the values in the Motion effect), those border artifacts could appear. If you inspect the anchor properties in the Motion effect, they may read the correct values (perfectly centered), but if you click on the reset icon on the Motion effect, the border artifacts will go away. The anchor values may still read the same as before the reset. If you have keyframmed motion and click the reset button, you will add a keyframe with the default values.

RJJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are completely right, whenever I move the video with the garbage matte from it's original place the green lines form. This doesn't solve it for me though, because moving the effects around is a necessary option for me.

Thanks

Robert J. Johnston​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was experimenting and found that when you put a garbage matte on the clip on the lower track, Video 1, and keyframe that clip's motion, and just change the blending mode to Multiply for the clip on track above,Video 2, there aren't any border lines when played. How that helps, I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact I'll add that now I'm realizing that the green border lines appear sometimes when I have just added a blend mode such as multiply, even without any single other change made to the image or video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines